MAF gone bad?

krazy86t

When i bought the 86TR last summer the MAF was bad - previous owner could not get it running. Put in a reman from NAPA and the car ran well. Fast forward a few months through a few upgrades (3" DP, high flow CAT, Pypes exh, CAI, comp 980 valve springs, TT chip with 42 inj, new Caspers inj harness, adjustable fuel reg, walbro fuel pump with hotwire, billet vacuum block with new hoses, gutted the interior to remove mouse nastiness :eek:), and the car was running great.

However, i've been fighting a KR problem for a few weeks. O2's in the 780-800mV range, a few deg of KR over 11psi boost. Checked FP - 43 lbs no vac, 1:1 lbs/psi increase with boost. Thought it could be electrical so i checked plugs, wires, traded out coil pack. Next test was carbon build up. Ran a can of Sea Foam through the engine and tried adding E85 and MM oil to the gas per recipe suggested on this board.

When i first noticed the KR problem the MAF counts would be 215-230 at boost 12-15 psi. MAF counts seemed to respond well to the throttle changes. Past couple days the weather has been nice, but the car is starting to run poorly: no power, bucks, hesitates. From the scan tool I can see that the MAF counts are now rarely over 100 with full throttle.

Low MAF counts definitely due to a bad MAF sensor, or could it be something else? Also wondering if the MAF was flakey before, which was related to the KR problems. Would like to switch over to LS1 MAF, but need to take a trip to the junkyard to find one. I have a LS1 translator, but it was for a camero so car/translator connector needs to change.

looks like you nailed it. so any time you throttle up past the point that would be 100 gms of AF your leaning out. so be careful. keep us posted.

NAPA MAF was under warranty, so exchanged it today. Another REMAN MAF in the car and car still has same symptoms. idle is ok, but vacuum is down to 12 psi. put the car in gear and it sounds terrible and runs poorly - like 1-2 cylinders missing. If the exchanged MAF is good, i need to look somewhere else to solve this problem. Airflow counts are still low, but now i think this is due to another problem.

No error codes on scan tool. Fuel mix right now is 5 gal. E85, 12oz MM oil, rest (11 gal) 91 Oct. The car ran fine for 100 miles on this fuel mix.