"Mad science"?

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Have no easy access to E85, and am about to fire up the 86 LST....
I do have access to 100LL at the local airport.
So, I'm considering mixing up some "love potion #9".:D
Non I/C application, dual nozzle Alky control kit, shooting pure M1.
I've been looking at a couple of the octane booster chemicals, and might use 100LL, and a shot of booster.
I've not yet contacted a chem mfgr, so not sure what I'd end up with. They claim way over 100, using 93 no led.

This is a street only unit, so boost at/near 20, is likely to put this into "can't keep it straight" territory.. Just where I like'em.:smug:
The capability to "turn up the wick", would be nice. But, I suspect just 93 no led, a good shot of alky, and I'm already in the sketchy traction area.:cool:
The capability to "turn up the wick", would be nice, just in case there's a "rat killin" deemed necessary. In that case, a prayer meeting could be arranged, a set of slicks, and a trip to the track, would be in order.:smuggrin:
NE1 have experience w/ such a mix?

Holley Dominator controlled, good driveline, marginal driver.:shifty::D

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Some octane boosters use sketchy math. Boosts 7 or 10 points. What they mean is takes 93 to 93.7 or 94. ( Tenths of a point to most of us.)

Last edited:
I'd do the 100 and some xylene, old school. ;)

If it blows up put a V6 back in there. :p:D

Aviation fuel is not intended for use in cars, I'd stay away from it. Just because these cars pull like jets, they really aren't. I used to run 20 lbs on 91 octane with an old SMC unit spraying 100% rubbing alcohol, 42.5 lb injectors, TA49 turbo, and a Casper's thumb wheel chip on the number 4 setting. This was an awesome combo on the street with my 87 Limited. Never did I get any knock running it out, except for 2°ish on my 1-2 shift. I honestly think 20 lbs on 93 octane with M1, you'll be fine. And, you may still likely have the room to turn up the wick another couple of pounds. Just remember to monitor your knock whenever hittin it.

Last edited:
Just remember to monitor your knock whenever hittin it.

I've got sensors monitoring the sensors! All kinds of fail/safe controls on the Dominator.:D
Rp max boost & boostane seem legit, although I've never used them.

Same here...
The old stuff, such as 104, was the "points" increase deal. The new stuff, such as Boostane, is actual rated as a full rise in octane, such as from 93, to 97.
I never messed w/ the "love potions" in the stage car... Straight 116 on the street. Got weird looks, at a stoplight!
As for the 100LL, we use a shot of Klotz, to keep things "slippery".

I'd do the 100 and some xylene, old school. ;)

If it blows up put a V6 back in there. :p:D
Thanks for the "suggestions".
The xylene is useful, the 2nd, not so much! :LOL:
I'm way past $3000 Stage blocks, $5K T/A blocks...Besides, they sound weird!:smuggrin:

I love the smell of race gas in the morning.

If you really wanna get em, mix it with some propylene oxide. Just be careful not to melt a piston...or inhale.

As for the 100LL, we use a shot of Klotz, to keep things "slippery".

I wanted to mention aviation fuels have different lead standards than auto fuels.
In the '90's I was looking into getting a 55 gal drum of 100LL from the local company that supplied oil and fuel to the tractor plant I worked for and was told the low lead aviation fuels had almost twice the lead as the premium (leaded) fuels in the 60's, but it looks like you've got that covered.

In my college days I was in Formula SAE. We ran 100LL av gas in our Formula car. It was running a Yamaha YZF 600 with a little warner-IHI RHB3 turbo on it. We just dialed it in and that was it. No big deal.

In my college days I was in Formula SAE. We ran 100LL av gas in our Formula car. It was running a Yamaha YZF 600 with a little warner-IHI RHB3 turbo on it. We just dialed it in and that was it. No big deal.

Damn. Ran that as well in M85 class.
Used a Yamaha 600 single cylinder 20mm max throttle body. Haha

The trick would have been to put an older FZR600 crank in the YZR cases. 'factory stroker' :)

I'm amazed you can't get E85 up there Chuck. It's 40 miles up the interstate from me in Newnan. I went back and forth on a Ferd 400 I'm building trying to decide to set it up for pump or E85.

Turns out my 'fuel still' output is worth more than fuel :D

'm amazed you can't get E85 up there Chuck. It's 40 miles up the interstate from me in Newnan. I went back and forth on a Ferd 400 I'm building trying to decide to set it up for pump or E85.

Earl, the closest is about 25 mi's. I'm not concerned about getting in 5 gal jugs... Just concerned about storage issues. This car won't be driven real often, and I'd not like to be dealing w/ issues, such as I see in some E85 injs I clean...

If you're going to drive I'd get it 50gallons at a time. As long as it's stored in a water tight can you should be fine. If your really paranoid just get one of those zeolite crystal keychaines built for watercraft and toss it in there.

The trick would be to make your own. Then instead of having to go though all the BS of drying it out just to be able to add gas, you can leave the water in it and have built in water injection. (not to mention a lot more fuel with a lot less heat energy input). The IRS really messed up alcohol fuels with their big moneygrab.

Then if it sits and takes on too much water, you can just add some pure stuff to bring it back up to whatever proof you want.

Nearest E85 to me is 30 miles. I get 15 gallons every time I go and store it in two 55 gallon plastic drums. Also have a drum of E98 to raise E content as necessary. I'd never go back with alky injection once I switched over to E85. It's by far the best fuel for the money. My previous car went 9.50's at 147 mph on E85. I'm a huge fan.

Someone on here said use Seafoam as a stabilizer. If you were going to add 100% alcohol, what would you add? COmmercial name please

Commercial name:
golden-grain-alcohol-usa-10746211.jpg

Availability: Any town with a likker store. :)

It's not quite 200 proof as that's not possible in an environment that contains air.