Machine shop in central IL

Wildthing

I live near Peoria IL and have only rebuilt 350's. I'm looking for a machine shop with experience working on 3.8 turbo motor and can give me some good advice.

I have 87 motor, 117k miles with a spun #1 rod bearing.

After doing a search of this board, I plan on using steel main caps for #2,3 with ARP studs. The crank and #1 rod are shot, I have another rotating assembly.

I'm thinking about comp cam 206/206. All I'm looking for is a mild street car for fun.

ANS Performance in Melrose Park, Il. Talk to Pete Barton, he is the owner. I know this not "local", but he is the closest person who should have his hands on your motor. Pete has built tons of these, including mine and several other board members, and has a good reputation. Well worth the trip. His # is 708-450-1095. Tell him Sam sent 'ya!

I'm working with a guy here local right now. it's not his first TR engine but he hasn't done alot of them. I'm helping educate him on build suggestions form this board & some other sources...nice thing is he's VERY open to suggestions and any info I can supply him with. We'll see how it works out...

Stop wasting your time looking around and just go to ANS, Pete is a good guy and knows what he is doing. Don't trust any other shops to do your motor. The GN motor has to be done right with proper clearance. Pete has done many Buick motors going back in the early 90's and still running strong in my friends cars.

Good luck
Prasad

You know, I have no doubt that ANS is top notch. If they were closer I would have used them BUT, this attitude that there are only 3 or 4 places in the entire country that can build these engines right is a little short sighted.

Specs are specs. ANY good machinist can build an engine anyway YOU want it. read: THE WAY YOU WANT IT.

As a customer, it is your responsibility to educate the machinist or at the very least point them in the direction of the proper info (if they don't already have it) to build the engine the way you want it and make sure they follow it.

Do all the Turbo Regal engine shops build them the same? I doubt it. Put them in a room together and I'd imagine there would be some pretty good discussions (and disagreements) on what is right and wrong when putting a motor together.

My point? YOU have to be educated FIRST...then hire a machine shop to build the engine the way YOU think is best.

I'm using the local guy to try to create another "good" Turbo engine guy. Will I be sorry? Maybe...but the guy who first had his engine done by ANS, Cottons, or who ever felt the same. I like my work done local so I can check up on it and if there is a problem, I don't have to plan a vacation to get the problems solved.

Before I took my short block to him I made sure he was open to suggestions, would listen to what I had to say AND let me have the final say on any and all build specs.

Just because an engine builder isn't currently known as a "good TR guy" doesn't mean he won't/can't be one. At one time, all the well known shops had to built their first...
just my .02

Thanks guys for responding.
I would go to ANS is a heart beat, but I don't whant anything to due with the C word what is found up north. zam70 I agrea with you about working with a shop to get them up to speed on turbo V6's, but I need a shop with some experance to help me. The shops in peoria area a swamped with work and would not be able to clean and magnaflux my block until 3 weeks. zam70 give me your shop phone # and I'll call him and see how busy he is.

Thanks.

Hey Wildthing,
I am in the same boat as Zam70. Mine is being rebuilt by a local guy who never did a TR before. I gave him the Jack Merkle articles, the Buick Powersource book, catalogues from ATR, Precison Turbo, etc., and I also forward him discussions from this board. He specializes in race motors, just not TR motors. I, too, did not want to "plan a vacation" to Melrose Park in case I had a problem. This guy is very open to suggestions, too. He will also clean up my engine bay, weld my header crack, paint the engine and headers, and install weather stripping around the doors and windows. He found a source for turbo cranks turned 10-10 in Indiana, just the way I wanted it. He's using JE pistons and bored the block 20 over (not .030 like he at first was going to do). He sent the crank out to be balanced along with the other internals. He's taking a lot of pride in this rebuild. He's going to give me a 12 month unlimited mile warranty, and he wants to race it for me on a 1/8 mile track just to see how good a job he did. It should be ready by next Friday. Check in with me and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Only bad news.

I I decied to use a local shop. I don't whant to go anwhere near ****cago. That ruled out ANS.

The local shop was able to handle the normal stuf. The problem was the turbo crank. They claimed that the crank was to light and it would cost 4 to 5 hundred dollars just to balance. So I bought another used trubo crank for $300. They check the new crank, same story 4 to 5 hundred to balance. I decided it was time to go to ANS.

ANS had their guy check both cranks. He found that when the other shop had polished the cranks that they had caused a flat spot at the oil hole by pressing to hard on the belt. I had ANS turn the crank that was 10/10 over to 20/20 over. The other crank was already 20/10 over.

I just got the rotating assembly back from ANS last friday. Have not had time to start to assemble the short block.

Needless to say I have left out a lot of details that have added to my anger and frustration. Like buying a $200 set of total seal rings from a local speed shop that were wrong size. I can't return them because it was a special order and it was my responceablity to ensure they were the right size.

This has been the worst experance I have ever had rebuilding a engine. I should have droped in a 350. It would have saved me a lot time and anger.

All I have done is oil the parts so they don't rust. I need a little time to calm down and cool off. I have a guy who whats to buy the car that I was going to dorp this motor in. If get the cash I sell the car. Then I'll post this engine for sale on this board.

Hey Wildthing,

That really sucks. I got my car back and so far it has held together. Might have an oil leak, but no big deal. Kind of used a lot of oil going down to Bowling Green, though. I'll monitor the oil consumption. Other than that, the car runs smooth and idles smooth. All the parts that needed balancing got balanced. Motor doesn't even sputter when cold. However, he charged too much because he said it took more time than he expected. About 3 weeks ago I got the bug again and bought a highly modified GN on ebay. I should have known better. Drove it 2 weeks and the car was back at the engine builder. He said the #3 bearing was down to the copper. Lots of metal in the oil. Again, he wanted too much to fix it. He'll deliver it to my house tomorrow. I already have another shop in mind. They talk a good story, and since it doesn't seem to need a total rebuild, I think they can handle it. Of course they say they can handle anything. So I'll risk it again and see what happens. Maybe ANS can open a shop in Champaign for us Central Illinois guys. Hopefully you an get your problems solved without selling the car. You know that in a year you'll wish you had kept it.

I used Kalina Machine in Peoria.

My problems with the crank was with the guy Kailna farmed the crank work out to, Vachon in Peoria.

My buddy who whants to by my MCSS has a lot of dreams and little money. I don't have much hope he'll come up with the cash.

Right now I'm tring to get my 82 suburban running. Just put a tpi fuel injection on the 350 in it. Have had a lot of wiring problems.

See, it pays to go to the right place the first time. Glad Pete could hook you up.

Why are you so averted to going to Chicago? You guys are killing me with the "local" thing. You should see how far many people go to get quality stuff. Hell, Pete's down right close in comparison. My buddy is taking his 455 about 6 hours away for a rebuild, because nobody here can be trusted. If you want a car the local idiot can work on, buy a mustang or camaro. Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices to have what you want.

So far, no problems with mine....I don't have it back yet but I'm staying informed. So far so good, we'll see what happens when I get it back.

G&M Automotive in St. Louis. 314-892-7441. Ask for Mike. I have no interest in the place other than the fact Mike knows his stuff about turbo cars.

My engine is with a machinist named Jeff Nab here in Springfield. So far so good and if the price stays true, it will be VERY reasonable.

Sam -
I want someone local so I can check on things. I trust NO ONE when it comes to mechanical things like this so I prefer to keep close tabs on things. I even go as far as checking clearances/tolerances, demanding to see ALL parts before they are installed (and empty boxes afterwards), and require a list of all parts and measurements of assembly. I supplied all the tech info to Jeff regardless if he felt he had all the correct info. This way, the engine is built the way i request, not how someone else thinks it should be done.
In the end, how would you really know if the "known" shops do things right (the way you expect them)? Trust right? Well I trust only me & my decisions. I'm sure ANS does a great job, but in the end how would I really know. I have this obsession with knowing exactly what I have...
for example: Upon the installation of the new short block I will have touched/redone EVERY NUT & BOLT in EVERY ASPECT of my car from top to bottom, front to back. WHY? Because I want to know. The short block is the end of the renewal project. If I didn't have a "hands on" in my short block, I would never trust it.