Lug nuts for Torq Thrust wheels - pictures attached

tom h

I was checking out display models of the ARE Torq-Thrust II wheels, and spent some time carefully measuring the center section (trying to determine if stock 87 GN studs meet NHRA rules).

The wheels had a conical seat, but also had a substantial 3/8" thickness that implied a shank-style lug nut.

Question: Does the required lug nut look similar to the attached picture? (taken from catalog of Gorilla Automotive Products ).

The dimensions seem almost a perfect match to the Torq-Thrust wheels.

In particular, I liked how Gorilla has an open-end nut for passing NHRA inspections, yet also offers an extra-long closed nut suitable for appearance and "cruise nights" .

Attachments

• gorilla lug nuts torq-thrust.jpg
    gorilla lug nuts torq-thrust.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 593
I must have been looking at very old display models of the wheels.

I wrote:
Question: Lug Nuts for Torq Thrust II :

After looking carefully at Torq-Thrust-II at the dealer, wheel appears to require a lug nut that has BOTH a conical seat combined with a very short shank.

Gorilla lugnut company calls this "E-T/ ULTRA STYLE"

>>> Is this correct?

A standard conical nut seems "wrong", as the lug holes in the wheel center section are 0.625" diameter, WAY too large for a typical 0.5" wheel stud.

American Racing replied:
Thank you for your interest in American Racing! The Torq Thrust II, as well as all current American Racing wheels use regular conical seat style lug nuts. Several years ago the Torq Thrust used to require mag style lugs with washers, however we have changed everything to accept regular conical seat lug nuts.
Presumably, the wheel holes are now a tighter fit to the studs, and so the nuts don't need any kind of shank; I'll have to verify .