LT1 starter?

boosted-para

I have tried to research and am unable to find a direct answer. Is the LT1 starter a direct bolt in?

any starter for a small block Chevy built after 1958 with a 153 tooth ring gear is a direct bolt in...
but the only ones that are really upgrades were used on LT1 and LT4 engines.

You can get a mini starter off evilbay for around $70 shipped and it's a gear reduction type. Do a search for SBC mini starter and it will have a ton of them. Just pic the one you want and go from there.;)

I searched lt1 starter and didnt get a clear answer to whether it is a direct bolt in. Didnt think about sbc starter. Thanx

Sent from my SCH-R950 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Also I have a local parts house I try to get my parts from. It is locally owned and he prices things right! So I try to find the parts and get them from him.

Remember Saturday is shop local day! Please use your local parts house and parts person

I found out the hard way not all SBC mini starters are the same? :(

Is would be best if you count the teeth on your GN starter, and then make sure the SBC starter you are going to purchase has the same number of teeth.

If my memory is correct, the GN starter has a 9 tooth gear?

I searched lt1 starter and didnt get a clear answer to whether it is a direct bolt in. Didnt think about sbc starter. Thanx

an LT1 is a small block with reverse cooling and a front mounted distributor behind a cam driven water pump..

96 Corvette with a 6 speed manual is the best oem application to look for.

Ok the LT1 starter is much smaller than the original that came with our cars, and the LT4 starter is even smaller than the LT1s heres a pic I burrowed from an f body site and its direct bolt on.
lt1 lt4.jpg

Also sounds cool when cranking the engine. I believe the LT4 is gear reduction also

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The LT4 starter is a great piece, and the ones I have used are a Denso that is made in the US.

It is not a "slim" package like the other mini-starters and is very close to the TA header as I had to trim the body a slight bit.

Ive had the LT4 starter on my GN for a few years. Works great. Cant beat the price if you get one from a parts store w/ a warranty (like I did). Smaller and lighter than the regular LT1 starter. Its only weighs about 9 pounds or so. Sounds cool when it engages and starts the car quickly. I bought new bolts from GM for a '96 GS Vette, some people say you can use the stock ones. But thats just me. They were only $10 or so at the time.

Only problem I had with mine was that the stock wiring was/is very tight. Had to pull on it to get it hooked up. Just be gentle if you have to and you should be okay. Again, it may have just been my car, or how my harness is ran (it has been apart a few times..). It clears the stock headers no problem, and creates some room between it and the crossover. Not sure how it will work with the TA headers, I guess I'll find out in the spring.

I just did this mod this weekend. I picked up a new gm denso starter 10455709 on amazon. Apparently it's made in Japan from the info I found? Got new starter bolts at work for a '96 vette (they look the same as stock from what I could tell). I pulled the flywheel cover and had to wrench out the long starter bolt from the back side but I did not pull the crossover (I have ta headers if this makes a difference?) Once unbolted the original starter fell right out. The purple wire to the small terminal is a stretch. I had to install it to the stud before bolting it up but once the starter was installed it didn't seem to have excessive tension on the wire. Mine also requires a shim on the side with the short bolt for whatever reason. The new sound will take some getting used to but it's much quieter and more modern sounding, but I like it!

I switched to the lt4 starter. I used the shim because I needed it before but worked perfectly. If you didn't need a shim before, you shouldn't need one with the new starter.

I used LT1 from 96 Vette. Works great. Direct bolt in. So easy....even I could do it!