Lt1 starter

pm87tb

I need to replace my starter, I am thinking about using a lt1 starter since its smaller. How many guys are running them and have you had any issues.

Thanks
Pernell

No starting issues. That's something I like about TRs. Easy to crank over. Not like big blocks with all their issues.

I bought mine from autozone. Positive battery cable was stretched to the max. I bought a new cable from Casper's but haven't put it on yet. It is supposed to be 3" longer than the stock cable. I like the sound of the starter.

Get an lt4 starter...

The lt4 starter 96 grand sport corvette is even lighter than the lt1 and starts my car well. I think the Autozone number is 17421? Or 17121.

Direct bolt in using old stock bolts.

Should be available at the bigger stores.

Lifetime warranty.

Jerry jr.

I'm glad this issue came up. Mine has a small starter from the previous owner. It sounds terrible and I noticed it has a been shimed. Should I add another shim? It does not sound normal by any means.

The lt4 starter 96 grand sport corvette is even lighter than the lt1 and starts my car well. I think the Autozone number is 17421? Or 17121.

Direct bolt in using old stock bolts.

Should be available at the bigger stores.

Lifetime warranty.

Jerry jr.

Any problems with the factory wiring? I have one for my GN but was concerned I'd have to do some wiring work. Not that its a big deal, just didnt want to get into a project and not have everything I may need.

Did you have to shim yours?

Any help/tips appreciated.

Thanks!

You shouldnt need to shim the LT-1 starter. Only thing I noticed having a trunk mount battery & Welding wire thats pretty stiff is it needed some coaxing to stay away from downpipe. Did it yesterday.

Didn't need to shim mine

Didn't need to shim mine any. I have a hotair car and don't know if the battery cable is different or not but mine was kinda a stretch.

The sound is very different, but my car starts normally within 2-5 revolutions of the motor. Sometimes it seems almost too quick to try to start.