LPN or RN (carear change)

87TR_WE4$$$

Hello fellow turbo lovers,

I am thinking about becoming a nurse and I have a few questions if use wouldn't mind.

How much does it pay? (I hate to say but money is a factor and my crappy 12 hour a day 5 days a week factory job pays pretty well.)
RN or LPN?
Would I be able to find a job in just about any city I wanted? What kind of hours would I work?
The class at a boces I'm looking to attend charges $5,000 for training is that about right?

Thanks

There is basically a nationwide shortage of nursing right now, particularly in the tri-state area.
Qualified candidates can find lucrative positions at most hospitals and patient care facilities. We pay our nurses quite well, and they are in the $65-80k range commensurate with their interventional radiology experience. RN rates are higher than LPN rates, however both are in demand. If you have a bachelor's, there are numerous programs out there to help you pursue your nursing degree. I'd have to say you'll spend quite a bit more than $5k on nursing school, and I'm sure you'll spend several years before completion.
Shift work in hospitals vary, but many offer 3-on/4-offs, allowing you to work 3 12-hour shifts and take 4-day off before the next cycle. Most offer shift differentials for night and/or weekend shifts.
I haven't heard of any cities that don't have nursing shortages, but we do business in NYC, Brooklyn, LI, Philly and NJ.
Later.
S.

My family is medical (nurses, lab techs, pharmacy, etc). I can tell you that the nurses never get the credit for all the work they do and they sure don't get paid enough. RN is were the money is, but it'll take some time to get there. My sister in law teaches nursing, I'll ask her the time lengths for both. Email me to remind me.

Yep, if you are going to get into it, go with the RN route. I have several friends that are RN's. The money is great and they can live anywhere in the states they want to. Another friend of mine is a head hunter for RN's and the packages they put together to get nurses is outragious. Put the extra time in school and get the bonus at the end. You will be glad you did. Mark :D

My wife just graduated from nursing school and she is an RN. Rn is definitely the way to go. There are even some 2yr RN programs (like hers) if time is a factor like it was for us. Some will tell you that the B.S. program is better but we didn't see that here. The 4 year program was just longer and less intense, probably still looks better on a resume though. Pay is the same either way. Speaking of pay, see my signature. Think I had that '03 Avalanche before she graduated? No way! That was her gift to me for helping her through school.

Speaking of help, you're gonna need some. Nursing school is tough and requires long hours and lots of assistance with study and other aspects of your life (kids, etc.). In the end it is well worth it but be prepared for a complete realignment of your priorities if you decide to do this. I have a 4 year degree (Advertising with an Arch. Eng. minor)and it didnt' require NEAR the dedication and time commitment that my wife's Nursing program did.

Just to brag on my wife a bit, she started nursing school at 34 with our son still a toddler, got pregnant and gave birth to our daughter during Nursing school, and never had to repeat any of the levels!! All the while I was working rotating 12hr shifts and all of the O/T I could to compensate for losing her salary. So, it can be done, even under adverse conditions if you're determined and have someone to help you!

I can only speak on my experiences here in the MidWest. I am actually currently registering for an RN update class since when I graduated with an ADN (RN) in '95 at age 30, I took the promotion my current employer (machine shop) offered me. There was no shortage at that time and most of my classmates were wondering if they would even find full time work. I am now going to update my license and get back into it as the industrial/manufacturing future doesn't look too secure unless you want to move to Mexico or Asia in the next 15-20 years! :(

It took me 1.5 years to get the prerequisites out of the way while working full time (50-60 hours a week), then 2 years in the associates program to get my degree (while working part time). Yes... whatever you may think nursing is all about, it is that and a BUNCH more! Much more accountability and autonomy than I ever thought, but that is a good thing. Much broader and more intense knowledge base required than I ever imagined. I learned a LOT!

I'd say go straight for the RN... nothing against LPNs, just that there's a good chance you'd go back for your RN sooner or later anyway.

Starting pay around here is now about $20 per hour give or take, but I'm sure it's much higher out your way. I have a buddy that is a travelling RN on the west coast and he gets $30+ an hour, many perks, and has lived in some very cool places!

I don't know what your gender is, but there is a large shortage either way, albeit a much greater shortage of men! Of course, the old stereotype is that you must either be gay or a womanizer, but most of us are secure enough to live with that. God bless my wife for putting up with all my late night study groups with good looking younger women! ;)

Good luck!

Wife just graduated and is an RN now. It's 2 years of he|| but it's done and over. RN is the way to go without a doubt. She started out in ICU at $20.55 hr to start and while in training. It's rewarding and demanding but nurses are in HIGH demand.

I say "go for it".

Go for the RN, You'll write your own ticket.
I worked in hospitals around the country, and there's a shortage everywhere.
When you graduate,you can work at my hospital $25-$30 hour :)
Most hospitals offer $5k signing bonuses, so there's your tuition payed.

P.S. get your masters and you're looking at $60+ hour