Lower Ctrl Arm Removal

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
Hello,

I was just trying to remove my lower control arms for boxing and bushing replacement, and found that it's impossible. I am able to get the sway bar out, and get to the rear bolts that hold the LCAs, but the forward ones seem impossible to get at. The inboard bolt access is tough, being right by the mufflers on each side, but I think I can get them. The outboard fastener however is tough to get at. It looks like it's inside the frame in that area, and I couldn't even get a finger on it.
Have any of you removed them yourself with just jackstands and normal tools? If so, any pointers to get at those forward outer bolts for the LCAs? I've got a Chiltons showing the exploded view, but I still couldn't find where the outer ends of those bolts were. My car is on jackstands, and I'm kinda iffy about working under the car as is. So if I need to take it to a shop, I won't lose any sleep over it. Any pointers though, as always, are appreciated! Thanks a lot!!

just put a socket on the end of an extension and stick it in there....if you have a small mag lite, you can find a way to shine a lite on the bolt head to help you find it with the extension.

I think I used an 18 mm.....

if you look at the nut on the inside of the frame, you can figure out where the top of the bolt will be. there is a hole in the frame, but you will have to go in on a slight angle. if you have a 'wobble' extension, or a jointed socket, it may make things a little easier. try looking a little more forward on the frame for a place to put a flashlight. i remember it as a 15mm, but it has been a month or so. just takes some time, and on the ground, it'll take you twice as long. just keep at it, you'll get it.

oh, and dont' forget to spray the nut and head of the bolt with some PB penetrating catalyst. the stuff that says 'as seen on tv.' it will help a lot in loosening the bolt.

The forward LCA bolt is accessible using an extension and an 18mm socket, as mentioned above. In rare cases, the exhaust may need to be loosened to allow access to the inside bolt near the muffler.

If you can't break them loose with a normal ratchet, you could get your repair shop to break them loose with an impact. Then just have them just snug em up and take it home and remove them yourself. I've done that before with my truck, till I got a compressor and an impact.:)
Tarey D.

Yea, a swivel socket is a blessing for that job....just wait till ya gotta get that bolt back in that little hiding hole :eek:

Just take a deep socket...stick the bolt in it....shine a trouble lite up by the exhaust so it will shine thru the hole...make sure the control arm bushing is lined up by looking thru the hole before you stuff the bolt in...and, it is a piece of cake. (use your flashlight to look thru the hole at the bushing from the outside of the frame)

Air tools are the icing. :D

An air impact wrench helps a lot on this one, 'cause you're working in confined spaces and you need a lot of torque on those bolts. Another tip when working on that bolt head through the frame hole is to wrap the socket head with duct tape where it attaches to your socket extension. That's just to keep the socket from falling off inside the frame, which is likely because it could catch on the frame hole easily. other than this stuff, it's really not a complicated operation.