Lower control arm bolt removal - HEPP ME!

Nashty

WORLD'S FASTEST ......geo
The bolts are frozen the the sleeves in the bushings and won't budge. I'm afraid the sleeve is going to start spinning in the bushing's rubber and I'll be screwed. How do I get that sucker out?

You can't get a hammer to it unless you pull the backing plate off on the rear and it looks like the front is going to need the exhaust dropped.

Any tips? The arms CAN be destroyed in the process if needed.

PS, my torch is a little Sears MAPP/Oxy unit so I can't cut, red hot-yes, cut - no.

I musta gotten lucky. Mine came out fairly easy except the front bolt on the right lower arm. Lots of WD40, PB Blaster. I just kept trying to unscrew them with a socket until they finally backed out. The one that got stuck on me required some fiddling with. I worked it back and forth with the socket a 1/4 turn at a time until it started to back out, then continued the processs. Placing a screwdriver under the head of the bolt will help apply some outward pressure to urge the bolt out. I tried the Cromagnon approach the first time and broke an extension. Good luck.

John! Nice to meet you in KY.

Thanks for the advice. I've got the car on jack stands and the rear is hanging from the shocks. Is this the best method?

If you can get an air chisel with a punch attachment, it'll "rattle" the bolt free of the sleeve.

For me, I just jacked up one side at a time right in front of each rear wheel just enough to get the full weight off the suspension and to get my fat self under the car; tires stayed on the ground. Maybe this is why your bolts are in a bind; they may be binding inside the bushings from being cocked or under pressure.

Try your best to saturate the area with a can of liquid wrench or wd40. Always is a big help with stubborn fasteners.

impact gun and wd-40. spin 'em good a time or two w/ the gun, hose it down good with the 40 juice and spin again. take the weight off the arms with a floor jack under the diff. the bolts should slide out by hand. -chuck

I had to use a punch to get them out and the back ones I used a Large allen key and beat the daylights out of it. The reason for the Allen key is,( picture it as a L) I took the small in and put it on the end of the bolt and beat the side of long end. Being so tight in the back that All I could find that would work. make sure you use alot of liquid wrench in between hamming it.

I had this same problem with a rear out of the car. I ground the head off the bolt, drilled a small hole and then used a punch. The punch broke, and broke and broke.

Finally got the sawzall and cut the bolts aparts. It took forever and plenty of blades. I wouldn't recommened it with the rear in the car unless you had a lift.

If the above things don't work, I'd take the backing plate off and redo your brakes while your at it.

If worse comes to worse you could put it back together and take it to a shop just to lossen the bolts then take it home and finish removing them. It may be less stressful to do it this way if you don't have the tools to beat them out...:(

ks