Removing factory lower control arm bushings

ikle

Today I decided to remove the factory lower control arm bushings and this is how I removed them.

1) first I drilled several holes in through the rubber bushing material surrounding the center steel bolt sleeve.
2) then I used a punch and a hammer to remove the center steel bolt sleeve and rubber bushing material from the outer steel casing.
3) I then put a hack saw blade in through the center of the casing, then attached the blade to the hack saw handle. I cut a slit in the casing from end to end, being careful not to cut into the lower control arm.
4) once I can see an impression being made on the opposite side of the casing from the hack saw blade I stopped.
5) flip over the control arm and with a regular screw driver or chisel and a hammer, beat on the impression to split the casing.
6) next beat on the casing with a hammer to collapse the casing inward, at this time with a few light taps of a hammer the casing slid right out.

This is my first time doing this so I don't know if this is the proper way to remove control arm bushings, but it worked for me and only took about 30- 45 minutes per control arm, at home, with regular hand tools. After I get the control arms sand blasted and painted I'll post how I installed the new bushings.

Kyle.