Low RPM, low boost, rich problem. (long)

corsair231

Having a intermitten problem. I had a bad idle issue and the car would even die at lights. I was getting an egr code 32 for a while and I finally determined that my egr vacuum solenoid was the culprit. It was sending vac. to the egr all of the time holding it open at idle. Before I had a chance to repair it I started to get a code 45 as well. I unhooked the sol. to egr hose so the egr is inoperable but closed. That cured the code 32 but now I'm still getting the code 45. I looked at my scan numbers and although everything seemed in range the 02 cross counts seemed very slow. I thought that may be the 02 sensor had crapped out due to the stuck egr. The car also started to smell rich.
I put a new o2 sensor in and a new set of plugs for good measure. The old o2 sensor was black. The old plugs did smell like fuel but they were all uniform color and not "dirty". I reset the computer and fired it up. It cured it for about 10 miles and then the 45 came back. The car still smelled rich but it was running smooth. It then started where it would idle rough for a few minutes then idle smooth and then roughen up again. It also has an occasional dip(s) under load at around 22-2600 rpm. It's not a hard miss but more like it pulls the throttle back. It mainly seems to do this under steady low boost (think gently accelerating up a long hill) 3-7 lbs. It does not do it outside of those ranges or when I nail it . It does puff dark smoke though.

I've checked my scan readings and everything seems normal.
TPS .40 @ idle 4.6 at wot and seems linear.
IAC 17-20 when idling smooth.
AF 6, with AC on 7-8, MAF passes the tap test too.
BLM 105, int 128 but it has always been that maybe locked at idle?
o2 is rich of course, cc's still seem lazy but my car goes into open loop at idle but it stays a 00 a long time before it registers any other values. Could it be that running rich is cooling the egt's enough to bring it out of closed loop?
Fuel pressure was 42 line off. Backed it down to 38, seemed to help idle but did not cure rich. Leaned it out on top though. Fuel pressure drops about 8 lbs. when car is turned off but it holds pretty steady after that.

I don't think it is ignition but I've got a spare module/coilpack I'm going to try as well as pulling the plugs again. Do chips go bad with out reason? I'm not sure who's chip I've got (thanks e-bay) but it's been working great for over a year so I wonder if anything could be wrong with that or the ecm? My guess is that I probably have an injector that may be getting lazy. Any other ideas. New o2 bad maybe? Is there a transition range where no egr can be causing it? I though that no egr would lean it out if anything plus it's rich at idle. I also removed a faulty cat. converter and replaced it with a pipe around the same time but other than what has been mentioned, nothing else has been touched on the car lately.

Sorry, I only have an OTC 2000 so I have no record feature and it's kind of hard trying to drive, read the scanner, and write the numbers down so that's why no numbers in the affected range. I could almost live with the dip but I can't live with the rich smell and rough idle. Mods in my signature. Thanks for all of the input guys.