low/reverse clutch install tool

cdw1946

does anybody know where a person can rent a low/reverse clutch install tool for the 2004r? thanks.

I just made one out of some stuff I had layin around . Getto but it worked lol
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

does anybody know where a person can rent a low/reverse clutch install tool for the 2004r? thanks.
I watched eBay for a "less expensive" one and bought it(actually several as I'm kind of a toolahaulic).
I know you can use two or three #10 copper wire with an el bent into the end to put down there and pull it out. Not sure just how you might put it back in.

I like this one the best. It is pretty sturdy.

Last edited:
I found one like Texas t pictured for $35 shipped in eBay. It was actually an "or best offer" deal but I thought it best not to try my luck. It's about the only special tool I didn't build myself, I guess except the shift shaft seal remover:installer.

Then I was helping move some crap at work and found one among the special tools which both pissed me off and surprised me since we are a gmc truck only dealer. Must have sold some caballeros?

I can tell you it IS possible to get it out without the tool but you gotta be careful

thanks
I found one like Texas t pictured for $35 shipped in eBay. It was actually an "or best offer" deal but I thought it best not to try my luck. It's about the only special tool I didn't build myself, I guess except the shift shaft seal remover:installer.

Then I was helping move some crap at work and found one among the special tools which both pissed me off and surprised me since we are a gmc truck only dealer. Must have sold some caballeros?

I can tell you it IS possible to get it out without the tool but you go

thanks for the reply. i have been looking at e-bay for one and will continue to do so. i like to mock up things first and then assemble them. i'm having problems with the low/reverse clutch assembly going all the way down into their splines. i can see through some holes in the valve body side that the splines in the low/reverse clutch housing is about a one half to three quarter of an inch from even contacting the splines in the race. i'm doing something wrong but can't seem to find it yet. i have fifteen years of building turbo 350's . i left the clutches and steels out and was able to sear the low/reverse clutch assembly in it's seat ok. it just seems to wobble when i try to seat it when everything is ready for final assembly. i'm missing something and i'll try again today with a little more patients. i was thinking that the right tool might make things better to assemble. i have chris's book and have been following it. it looks like the right tool is the way to go which would make the splines line up better. getting it out was easy. going back in is killing me so far.

I used a an old yoke and a bungy cord...
Farmer but it worked.
looks ok to me but i was looking for the low/reverse clutch install tool. made a outputshaft support tool myself but i don't think i can make the low/reverse install tool. i'll keep looking. thanks, denny