Low BLMs and low WOT O2's

F

Fred 86 GN

The car is rich at idle and cruise and lean at WOT -- just the opposite of what I think I need! BLMs around 108 and O2's at WOT of 750 with the fuel pressure at 44psi. I turned the fuel pressure up to 46psi and the numbers were 98 for BLMs and the O2's went to 770.

This was recorded with DirectScan for a Reds 93 chip burned for 009 injectors. I have had similar results from a JL93 chip, and a "Kim & Larrys" 93 chip. All were rich at idle (low BLMs) and lean at WOT. Ack!

Do I need to share this information with the chip burners and get a custom chip made? Or is there a problem somewhere else in the engine that is making all three chips act the same way?
:confused:

Thanks for your input,

Well...

I have reviewed my DirectScan data and noticed that Reds93 chip is basically the same as the JL93 chip I have. Which means that they are both 20% leaner than the Kim&Larrys93 chip that came with the car.

My solution for now is to put the K&L93 chip back in. Comparing the data at WOT in third gear, with similar MAF, LV8, TPS, rpm, and speed showed the K&L93 chip to be giving up to 90% of the injector pulse width while the other two chips maxed out below 70%. I suspect that they may be held back by my MAF numbers that never maxed out, but were around 210-220 at 4000rpm. My GN seems to like more fuel, so the K&L93 is the best choice.

The K&L93 chip went to 26ms of PW. Given that 30ms is the maximum, that is a chunk of fuel! By comparison, the other chips did not go over 20ms of PW during the same conditions.

I should be able to turn the fuel pressure down to 40-42psi and get the BLMs in the 120 range with the WOT O2s around 800.

At least the RJC power plate I put in reduced the KR to less than 2 degrees during my test runs.:D That compares to over 7 degrees without it.

If you read this far, here is another piece of information for free:
WOT timing for the three chips--
JL93 = 19.0
Reds93 = 21.6
K&L93 = 23.6

so the K&L93 has more timing too. Almost seems like a 100 octane chip...

Email testa. Reds 93 was giving me 90 blms at idle for 009s. A swap to testa's brought that up to 118 with NO OTHER CHANGES. And my blms at wot are now 128.

_BOB

So 128 is the number you should get at WOT in any gear or what? For some reason, I thought It was supposed to be at 60 mph.

Yup, I'm new at this.

:cool: