Lost to a vette

JDSfastGN

Well tonight my friend and I were out cruising in the 87, and came across a corvette. It was a newer one 98-or up silver. Very nice. Well usually I don't instigate races but I thought I'd give it a try. I've beat LS1s many times and thought this would be no different. Well we went from a 45 mph roll, he jumped in it first and got a 1 car lead with the guys wife waving bye, and kept it all the way up to 100 or so, my friend thought I was barely inching him, I wasn't sure but I know wasn't losing ground. Then we go again from a slow roll, and the same thing, after he gets a jump (he never gave much a warning) We followed for a while and we were pretty far out of our way. We were about to turn around when we caught a light, where I figured it would be a good race. Well, we pull up and there are two lights. The first goes green and we slowly roll up to the second and it goes green, this time I got the jump and had him by a length. I didn't realize it turned into a 2 lane country road. So I let out at about 65 or so thinking he would fall in line and slow down, but he didn't so to keep my distance I got back on it. I'm sure he thought he was pulling when I let out but oh well. It was fun, but I didn't get to ask what mods if any he had. I've pulled vettes and F bods before even on rolls and this is my first loss since a mustang cobra when I was bone dead stock. Kinda makes me wanta get a bigger turbo.

Man those C-5s are brutal especially from a roll.I know i had one.

13.40 @106.6 "stock" just idleing off the line.

It doesn't take much to makem faster either.

Just do a little more wrenching on your car and be better prepared for next-time:)

Do you just have the stock turbo? If so I think that is impressive to hang with a vette on the big end, especially an LS1.

Yes it is a stock turbo, and I was always told you can't hang with a vette or even and f body at higher speeds with a stock turbo, but I've beat many before from rolls or stops, The biggest help for my topend charge was the 23 row intercooler and I took my thrasher 92 out and put in a conely minimag. I'm hoping to upgrade to a PTE44 soon, with 42.5 lbs injectors. First I'd like to take it to the track with my current setup and see what it'll run. I don't like to take it much past what I think is about 120 or so, because against a vette all he would do is laugh with my flying box struggling in the wind.:D I am going to run xylene tonight and up the boost from 17 to 21 or so, maybe I'll run into him again. This guy was crazy, when it turned into the two lane back road, he would start weaving into both lanes, and passing cars in front of him in no passing lanes and stuff. After that I gave up. Thanks for the replies.

Dude, don't worry about it. If you kept up with it in the big end, beleive me, HE WAS TAKING A DUMP IN HIS PANTS! You'll get him from a stop If you were to hook good. Those things are fast but thay can't hook for nothing. I saw a Z06 run 13.08 @ (get this) 111.72 mph at the track last night. At that speed our cars run low 12's.

Run him from a light next time and shut it down at about 105 or so. You'll be in front and he'll be seeing some Buick taillights the entire way. :D

Later

GOOD RACE but the phrase "BIG END" is very relative to your cars and the driver. To a newer vette...the "BIG END" doesn't start till after 120mph! I drive a TTA and have raced many cars and a bike on the top end. I know I have been over 150 if not 160mph! To me, the big end (regarding street racing) doesn't begin till I hit 120mph. That's what I count as pulling somebody on top end.
Just my 2!

Hey I agree about the big end comment, we maybe got up to 115, at the most, if that, I didn't have a scan tool hooked up, so its kinda hard to tell, thanks for all the good responses.