Lost 4th gear, then lost 3rd

NASSTY

Was driving the other day and noticed the car wouldn't shift into 4th.I played with the TV cable a little and 4th came back.A couple days later I was driving the car and it wouldn't shift into 4th again.So while I was driving around troubleshooting the car it stopped shifting into 3rd gear.
I still have a firm 1-2 shift and the transmission doesn't seem to be slipping.It just won't shift out of 2nd gear. I haven't tore into it yet.I was hoping it was something simple like a band anchor pin but now that 3rd and 4th are both gone it's probably a lot worse. This just started happening out of the blue.The tranny never acted up before this.It just stopped shifting to 4th and then it stopped shifting to 3rd. :mad:

The complaints you have arent common.It does sound like you have direct clutch inoperative.Check for debris in the band and if there is pull it out and go thru it.

Thanks for the reply Chris.
I dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid.The old filter and fluid only had 2500 miles on it because I changed the torque converter last fall.There was what looked like some clutch material in the pan.After changing the filter and fluid I drove the car and I had 3rd and 4th gear for about 20 miles and then it wouldn't shift to 4th again.This time I still have 3rd gear but no 4th.

Thanks for the reply Chris.
I dropped the pan and changed the filter and fluid.The old filter and fluid only had 2500 miles on it because I changed the torque converter last fall.There was what looked like some clutch material in the pan.After changing the filter and fluid I drove the car and I had 3rd and 4th gear for about 20 miles and then it wouldn't shift to 4th again.This time I still have 3rd gear but no 4th.

if you shift manually through the gears will it go into 4th? if not i would assume its toast. i had one in my other gn that was bad did the same thing.