Looking to mount gauges in glove box? Anyone done this?

phillyturbosix

Staff member
I'm looking to hide 2 gauges in the glove box in my 86. I'd like to have a boost and oil pressure in there for when I'm driving it. Anyone make something up like this? I don't want to modify the glove box in anyway. Maybe some type of 2 gauge pod that would hold them in there? I was thinking maybe that gauge pod that would mount on the side of the speed o cluster they use to sell awhile back would work if it's not to big? Any ideas? Suggestions? I could always just lay the gauges in there but I'd like something a little more professional looking then that. :)

Going to be doing this with trans temp gauge but have one of those console extender deals on my car.

the whole purpose of gauges is so you can monitor stuff in real time as you drive the car.. putting it in the glovebox means that either you can't see the gauges all the time, or the glovebox will be open all the time.

the whole purpose of gauges is so you can monitor stuff in real time as you drive the car.. putting it in the glovebox means that either you can't see the gauges all the time, or the glovebox will be open all the time.

The purpose is to open the glove box while I'm driving to monitor vital things on these cars that need to be monitored while you drive. They would be on an angle to-wards the driver. Not like I need to stare at them driving to a car show. When I get to a car show I close the glove box and the car appears stock again. That is the whole of idea of my post here. I've seen it done on many cars at shows and I figured someone must have went down that route with a GN I'm sure. Just trying to get some ideas for my project. I already have a scan master in the car that coverer's everything other then boost and oil pressure. I made a custom cigarette lighter plug harness for my scan master so that can sit in the center console while the car is not in use as well. I like the look of a bone stock interior. The way it came from the factory. Hopefully that clears it up.

Jim this sounds dangerous to me. It would suck to crash a car over it. Things happen quick :redface:

Good idea, but NOT for a boost gauge!!

I thought about doing something similar to this a while ago, not for gauges, but rather for a "Translator Gen II" which I was using at the time, but finally never did it because I sold the unit and went with a "Fast XFI" system. :wink:
I'm not sure that for gauges though, it would be a good idea (especially a BOOST or a KNOCK gauge!) as their main purpose is to monitor the engine while driving and warn you if something's wrong under the hood...:rolleyes: Gauges have to be clearly in the driver's view and it definitely wouldn't be safe to keep looking at the road and the glove box back and forth all the time.

-->BUT this idea is great for someone wanting to mount a delay-box or any other gadget or device, as long as it's not something you have to stare at while driving...Keep your eyes on the road!!

Claude. :smile:

The only reason I'm doing this is to monitor oil pressure and boost as I'm casually going down the road with no one around me driving the speed limits. You guys have "race car" on the mind. My cars are show cars. I don't race. Don't care to race don't want to. I have thousands of time slips from when I was younger and it's out of my system and I'm in cruise mode now.

I have gone to 5 shows in a month and never made boost with the car going and coming to the show. I want this so when I'm cruising down the highway I can just glance over and see what my oil pressure may be. I can send e-mails and text messages while driving so I think I can glance off the road for a split second to take a peek at a gage. I even went with the bigger gauges to see them better. They are also cobalt gauges and if you can't see them at a glance then your blind.

I've seen these guys mounting tachs via the cig lighter plug outlet. Talk about danger! Going WOT and trying to look over there! For knock I have the scan master right on top of the dash surround right in my line of view. I made a custom harness so I can install and take out the scanmaster in 2 seconds if needed. Anything the scanmaster spits out I'm not worried about. It's oil and boost I'd like to watch. We all know how important oil pressure is with these cars.

If it will make you guys sleep better at night, If I want to do a WOT blast to see boost levels I'll make sure there is a passenger in the car and they will have a birds eye view of the gauges. :cool: Even better something to give the passenger to do. Watch the gauges and report to me what they see.

You race guys always get confused with us car show guys needs!

I thought about doing something similar to this a while ago, not for gauges, but rather for a "Translator Gen II" which I was using at the time, but finally never did it because I sold the unit and went with a "Fast XFI" system. :wink:
I'm not sure that for gauges though, it would be a good idea (especially a BOOST or a KNOCK gauge!) as their main purpose is to monitor the engine while driving and warn you if something's wrong under the hood...:rolleyes: Gauges have to be clearly in the driver's view and it definitely wouldn't be safe to keep looking at the road and the glove box back and forth all the time.

-->BUT this idea is great for someone wanting to mount a delay-box or any other gadget or device, as long as it's not something you have to stare at while driving...Keep your eyes on the road!!

Claude. :smile:

Did you end up getting your XFI from Cal?

get one of those 2 or 3 gauge square pods, install electric gauges with a few feet of wire.
when needed, pull it out of the glove box and slap it on top of the dash with some sort of velcro giggy ....bungy cord will work too:biggrin:

Jim just get the power logger then install a 3 bar map.... you will be able to see the boost right on the scan master then. You can even hook up a oil pressure sensor to it.....

I can send e-mails and text messages while driving so I think I can glance off the road for a split second to take a peek at a gage.

you know how many people have said this and been killed or killed someone else?

Just saying..
Joshua

your nice show car will make an awesome parts car :rolleyes::cool: race car show car what does it matter driving down the street ???? Watch where you are goin :eek:

Jim, look for pics of the MAGNA hooters concorville meet from this year, or contact Steve on the other board. Firebird350 I think, he mounted gauges in the glove box of his 87 GN.

Thanks Ed I'm going to text him now! :D I actually found an aluminum project box here at work I might be able to paint and get in there nice.

Fast4Ward: I like the idea of a umbilical cord to bring it out and set it on the pass seat or even the dash somewhere. hmmmmm ;)

Joshua: I've driven to Canada and shot text messages and e-mail's the entire way. My cars just drive their self. I was a pro at sleeping behind the wheel for years so doing text and such is a walk in the park as long as my eyes are open! :biggrin:

Jim, I had a boost gauge & oil pressure gauge in my glove box for the very reason you want too. I just bought a couple cheap chrome gauge holders( the single ones) and mounted them at an angle in the glove box. It was easy to see at a glance, and when I closed the glove box, they were gone.