Looking to buy a car hauler. Open trailer 18'

1987BuickGN

Just a member
Let me know if you have one for sale. Going trailer shopping this weekend unless something pops up. Anyone have a source or know somebody that sells them? Just need a basic 18' open, wood or steel bed car hauler....DFW area or close by. Thanks!

I bought a 20' open...wish I would have bought a 16 or 18...dont get me wrong my trailer is perfect ! Cant tell it is behind me at 85...it is the storage issue and parking lots.

Bryan

If you can wait a few months the dirt track guys will be done and looking to get out. You might be able to pick one up fairly cheap because this is the time that the wife starts to bitch about how much time and money the "hobby" is taking and she and the kids need attention.;) It happens in the fall and spring every year and you can pick up some serious bargains if you check craigslist and the paper.

Crazy as it sounds - the trailer I like the best is my used U-Haul Car Transport.
I liked it when I used to rent before I bought my own.
They always pulled so nicely.
Those things haul the Regal like a dream - with a perfect center of gravity / tongue weight.
Surge brakes so no worries if someone doesn't have electric brakes on their rig.
The stop on the front of the trailer for the wheels - to keep the car on the trailer.
The front wheel tie down webbing for quick attachments if you are just going around the corner.
Open underneath if you need to sneek a peak at undercarriage.
Swing out drivers side fender for access in and out of the car.
Pull out ramps.
Locations for my ratchet straps.
16' for easier maneuvering.
They are built tough to last.
Galvanized steel.
Maybe a little nose heavy when it is just you putting it up on the ball - but I manage.
Weighs a little more than your average trailer - which is a minus depending on your tow rig.

All in all - I really like that crummy little trailer. $1200.

The dovetails with metal floors are really nicer looking, but I like my U-Haul (painted black of course)
I'm not big fan of the wooden floors - but they work for occasional duty and if you keep it covered. Also more weight.

Like Charlie said though - whatever you don't overpay.
Be a smart shopper and be patent.
Some of the people on CrazyList are - crazy.
$2000 for a POS farm trailer with mobile home axles.
I see prices much closer to $1000 lately. Which is more like it.

For the cat's pajamas - check out the aluminum 16 or 18's.
Those are the bomb - but $3000-$3500 even used.

If you can wait a few months the dirt track guys will be done and looking to get out. You might be able to pick one up fairly cheap because this is the time that the wife starts to bitch about how much time and money the "hobby" is taking and she and the kids need attention.;) It happens in the fall and spring every year and you can pick up some serious bargains if you check craigslist and the paper.

Same thing happens on occasion with the thing going on the trailer...even sometimes....TR's...:(
Which is why I removed that one part from my hobby cars - the "wife" part. :D

Same thing happens on occasion with the thing going on the trailer...even sometimes....TR's...:(
Which is why I removed that one part from my hobby cars - the "wife" part. :D

It happens in any "hobby' situation. A few years ago a local offered us 3 cars, 5 engines, 3 trannys, and a 20 foot trailer for $2K. His wife told him point blank if he was going to race this year he'd have to find somewhere else to live.:eek: Still have 1 of the cars and will be advertising it just after Christmas for $1200 and it will sell since it's an A body car. Unfortunately the idiot that built it used an actual 69 SS Chevelle he had sitting around.:mad:

It happens in any "hobby' situation. A few years ago a local offered us 3 cars, 5 engines, 3 trannys, and a 20 foot trailer for $2K. His wife told him point blank if he was going to race this year he'd have to find somewhere else to live.:eek: Still have 1 of the cars and will be advertising it just after Christmas for $1200 and it will sell since it's an A body car. Unfortunately the idiot that built it used an actual 69 SS Chevelle he had sitting around.:mad:

A deal I could go for.
Now that we call a "distress sale"
Were there also buzzards circling overhead as well? :D
Did the guy selling appear as if he had just had his spine removed?
Was he hunched over?

I've found that very few gals (these days) tolerate their guy having a real hobby.
For some (very weird) reason - they see it as a threat the guy's attention toward them.
Never could figure it out.
That's why - if I meet someone - we just get that out of the way - right away.
"Baby - there are going to be some Saturday's where I'm at the junkyard."
You no likey? Art festival instead you say?
I'll wave next time I see you.
Just look for the Black flash.
:p

I bought a 20' open...wish I would have bought a 16 or 18...dont get me wrong my trailer is perfect ! Cant tell it is behind me at 85...it is the storage issue and parking lots.

Bryan

I think I saw your trailer on the news.
But you really shouldn't be pulling that thing at 85 mph.
It's a national treasure.

Attachments

• LARGE TRAILER.jpg
    LARGE TRAILER.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 149
What part of town? There are several dealers on the southeast loop 820 in ft worth. I bought mine over there a decade or so ago. They aren't there but several others are.
I like the u haul idea. I didn't know they sold their used stuff. Open middle would be handy. I've thought of doing that to mine as it still needs a floor. I'm leaning towards some c channel for the wheels and open in the center.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I too would love the option of having a old u Haul car hauler but I never see them for sale. Im about 10 minutes away from DFW Airport. Centrally located between Dallas and Fort Worth

Sent from my SGH-M919 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

There's a U haul center in Dallas that sells the stuff they want to get rid of. The center over at I-35 and 183 in Fort Worth can tell you where it is and when the sales are.;)

I use the Budget trailers (I work for them) from time to time to haul the GN. Not a bad trailer, I like having it open in the middle as well. I guess I need to try to buy one. They don't have the fenders that drop like the U haul trailer but I guess the fenders are lower my door always clears by a inch or so.

I have a 2011 Big Tex 18' open car hauler w/ rear slide out ramps for sale. I'm in the Tyler area. It includes axle and tie down straps. Used about a dozen times. PM me for details.

Attachments

• todd's cell 026.JPG
    todd's cell 026.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 172
  • todd's cell 025.JPG
    todd's cell 025.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 153
I bought an 18' car hauler in Houston several years ago. One of the best options i got on my trailer was removable fenders. At the time i had a blazer with wide offroad tires and it would not fit between the fenders. I also would recommend a bulldog hitch. The dove trail i have on the trailer makes the ramps hag down real low on the back.

Just a couple things to look at.

Brandon

I have a 2011 Big Tex 18' open car hauler w/ rear slide out ramps for sale. I'm in the Tyler area. It includes axle and tie down straps. Used about a dozen times. PM me for details.
That is a sweet lookin trailer.

This is a fine ass trailer. I bought one new a couple months ago. Very well built. They use rectangular tubing for the frame instead of c-channel or angle iron. Makes the trailer very sturdy and stable. Would love to have a winch on it and a couple extra d-rings in the front for the basket-type tie downs for the front tires.

Watch for the 20% off coupon and the 8000 or 12000 to go on sale at Horrible Freight
Under 200 bucks