Looking to Buy 2004 Regal

Heg87t

Slightly Compressed User
Hey,

My friend just called me and asked if I could look at a 2004 Regal GS she wants to buy at lunch.

Does anyone on here have one of these Regals? If so, anything I should be loooking out for as far a problems?

I own one I bought it with under 30k miles 3-4 years ago has almost 60k on it now. Had to replace wheel hub bearings and original battery other then that it's been fine. I chalk the hub bearing up to our bumpy roads and all the ralroad tracks we have in Illinois.

Thanks

I own one I bought it with under 30k miles 3-4 years ago has almost 60k on it now. Had to replace wheel hub bearings and original battery other then that it's been fine. I chalk the hub bearing up to our bumpy roads and all the ralroad tracks we have in Illinois.

Appreciate the info. I think she is going to get it.

Do you have the 3800 in yours? If so, any intake gasket problems?

No issue with the intake gasket I remember there being a recall for the earlier models but in 04 they switched the material that they made the gasket out of. The only thing that I didn't take into consideration when I bought the car is that it takes 93 octane. It gets a little expensive when my wife drives the car she must gun it at every light not to mention none of her miles are highway. She averages about 17mpg I average about 20.

The GS is supercharged which has a metal manifold, There are no intake problems with the S/C motor. The standard 3800 motor had intake issues.

The GS is supercharged which has a metal manifold, There are no intake problems with the S/C motor. The standard 3800 motor had intake issues.

OK. This is not supercharged so she could expect problems. Engine has about 90,000 on it now.

2004, 90,0000 miles....if it were going to have problems with the intake, they'd have happened by now.

+1 on the front wheel bearings. Chronic problem, but not difficult to fix, obviously.

In yuour first post you called it a GS if its truely a GS it is supercharged, as ALL regal GS were supercharged from 97 up. So make sure. Ive had them, start leaking after 90K, Let's just say this if it has never been replaced it WILL HAVE TO BE SOON.

Thanks Guys

In yuour first post you called it a GS if its truely a GS it is supercharged, as ALL regal GS were supercharged from 97 up. So make sure. Ive had them, start leaking after 90K, Let's just say this if it has never been replaced it WILL HAVE TO BE SOON.

I was told GS on the phone. When I got there it was not supercharged. It was slow! :biggrin:

I will recommend a preemptive intake gasket strike. :wink:

I have an 03 LS (non-sc) with 94K on it. Runs great and best mileage ever was 34mpg. Averages around 26-27. Look up replacement OD shaft for the trans, I replaced mine for the fun of it...they will fail some day.

Its not the gasket its the actual intake that has a flaw, GM for some unknown reason thought putting a METAL pipe for the EGR gasses to escape thru a PLASTIC intake was smart. Guess you can figure out what happens to the intake after some time n miles.