Looking for info on GS/GTP's....

1QUICK85

Big Old Turbo Turd!!
Ok, here is my deal I am looking to get into a GS/GTP about a year from now(maybe sooner) and I am wanting to know is there anything I should know when shopping for one. I know I want a low mileage stock condition 4-door(under 7K). Is there certain years that I should stay away from? Are there any good sites that have the break down of what GM did to these cars through the years or are they all basically the same? Looking for unlimited information to read on these cars!!
I would probably end up modding the car to a low 13 second car. Is there any problems people usually have with that? Tranny blowing up? Also how much would it take to make a stock GTP/GS run low 13s?
I know nothing about these cars, so please educate me!!!
TIA, Nick. :cool:

THE ONLY PROBLEM IVE EVER HAD WITH MY 98 GTP COUPE IS THE FACTORY TRANSMISSIONS ARE CRAP. IT HAS A 4T65E FACTORY AND CAN ONLY SUPPORT 290 FL.LBS OF TORQUE WHICH IS LESS THAN THE GTP HAS FACTORY. IM LOOKIN INTO A 4T80 TRANNY FROM A NEWER CADILLAC WITH A V-8 . AND BOUT WANTIN TO RUN LOW 13'S...... **** THAT IF YOU GO TO GRANDPRIXSTORE.COM YOU'LL FIND A TURBO KIT FOR AROUND 3,000 THAT GUARANTEES YOU 12.81'S. COOLEST PART IS THAT THE GTP KIT IS NON INTERCOOLED TO SAVE YOU MONEY . THE GTP'S FACTORY EATON SUPERCHARGER PUTS OFF MORE HEAT THAN THE AFTERMARKET TURBO KIT SO IT WORKS GREAT AND ITS FINE FOR THE CAR. I LOVE MINE. RIGHT NOW IM BOUT READY TO PUT MY 88MM TURBO ON AND GET INTO THE LOW 10.5'S. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY MORE HELP . YOU CAN ALSO SEE A COUPLE VIDS OF MY CAR STOCK AT WWW.MYSPACE.CO/BADASSGTP HIT ME BACK

I would get 99 and up. The PCM for the 98 is different than the 99-03 and it would probly be easier to find someone with a bin file to flash your pcm. Also first mods would be CAI, 3.4 pulley and flash pcm. Also get rid of the "u-bend" it its hasnt been done yet. Thats the bend after the down pipe where the rear o2 sensor mounts. Those are the mods that will give you the best gain. I ran nitrous since the water-to-air intercooler was too expensive and I run faster than those who had used i/c's in my club. If you could swing the turbo kit, do it! That would be the best thing to do to get the most amount of power. Bottom end is pretty solid.... Fastest I ran was 12.5 @ LACR Palmdale with nitrous and a really good tune. Wife ran a 12.7 before she was preganant and stopped racing. She ran 7.98 in the 1/8 with a 2.0 60'. Traction sucks with these cars big time! Other than that they are fun to drive. That trubo kit well tuned should put you in the 12's..... good luck!

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!! I wouldn't go turbo, but mid 13's would be cool. So, 1999 and up have better PCMs. Anything else like that I should know about? Are the GS's and GTP's identical every year? Tranny changes or different gearing or anything? Is the tranny a problem area with these cars?
This may be a stupid question, but is there a difference at all between the 2 and 4 door cars performance wise?
You guys have any links to any cool sites that may give me a break down of what the differences are each year of production?
TIA, Nick.:biggrin:

If You Look At The Top Of This Page Way Up At The Top You'll See A Link That Says Faq. Its Got All The Info You Are Lookin For. These Guys On Here Have Done A Wonderful Job On The Site. If You Need More Info Check The Faq Section On Fullthrottlev6.com

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!! I wouldn't go turbo, but mid 13's would be cool. So, 1999 and up have better PCMs. Anything else like that I should know about? Are the GS's and GTP's identical every year? Tranny changes or different gearing or anything? Is the tranny a problem area with these cars?
This may be a stupid question, but is there a difference at all between the 2 and 4 door cars performance wise?
You guys have any links to any cool sites that may give me a break down of what the differences are each year of production?
TIA, Nick.:biggrin:

Also I believe 2000 and up GTP's had the "Performance Shift Button" which gave the PCM different parameters for shifting and WOT performance. Not 100% sure it started in 2000 but my car has it (a 2000). I would register on clupgp.com and ask questions there. They have all the info you need and could put you in contact with all the vendors for this vehicle.

ClubGP Message Forum troubleshooting

my 98 gtp has performance shift on it i believe they started it in 98 dont recall the 97 havin it. has anyone heard of a talledega edition grand prix?

My 00 has been a great car...
If you wanna spend the money on a turbo kit go for it...but if not you can get in the 13's for cheap witht he stock eaton.

**** get a alky control kit from Julio for it man...

my mods are
PCM
Downpipe
shift kit
Delco 932's
3.4 MPS
180 t-stat
Intake

ill get a meth kit and smaller pulley and headers and be coastin pretty good.

I know someone who tried doing alky injection on his GP but with no good success. Let me know how it goes for you!

2 door = lighter
stick with 1999 and up
the trans is going to be a problem if you leave it stock and want to run 13's and beat it up alot.

clubgp.com is more hardcore...but regalgs.org is pretty good too. maybe more in line with what you want your car to do. i have a '99 regal gs. it has the perf shift mode. apparently the '98 are a little stronger than other years...99 being the next best.

the series iii motor (05 and up?) has better heads/intake/supercharger/connecting rods...same crappy transmission. they use the 4t65 with the drag ecotecs...so they have lots of potential. perhaps harder to control (different ecu, drive by wire).

turbos are easier on the tranny than built up superchargers. but a simple pulley, exhaust, downpipe, cai, tune should get you around 300 hp. if you're going to use headers, cam, or want more power, you may as well go turbo, and keep the internals stock - it's cheaper to make lots of turbo hp. a little hp works with sc.

i have a 99 gs got last year. in 99 they came with the perf shift button option also have the heated seats which are great during the cold days. was gonna mod mine too for high 12s area but the trannys are real weak like others said. if you are gonna get one just make sure it's 99 and up.

Greg

i have a 99 gs got last year. in 99 they came with the perf shift button option also have the heated seats which are great during the cold days. was gonna mod mine too for high 12s area but the trannys are real weak like others said. if you are gonna get one just make sure it's 99 and up.

Greg

I ran 12.5 @ LACR with stock trans, shift kit, open stock diff, and trans cooler. I also ran Hoosier QTP's Slicks. Vehicle now has 178,XXX miles, and Ive NEVER had a problem with my trans.:biggrin: But I have heard of others having trouble with there trans..... oh yeah, and if you want a full detail on my mods you could check out the next issue of High Performance Pontiac, there is an article about the car, my wife and I in the Shootout section. All I ever did with my trans if keep it as cool as possible and I changed over to Mobile synthetic oil and changed the filter out at 40K miles. Since then I changed my trans fluid about every 40K miles:biggrin: Never had a problem! Hope this helps!