Looking for Deltagate advice

1984grandnat

Anyone have any experience with Deltagates on our cars?

I have one sitting around, and I can't run the stock W/G with the LT downpipe...so I'm looking for any information/experience you guys might have with these things.

Two things are bothering me...1st, is the Deltagate going to flow enough with the larger turbo? 2nd is placement of the W/G...I have seen a lot of people tying the external gates into the crossover, but I don't like the idea of having to crawl under the car to adjust boost all the time (much less running boost lines that far). My idea is to plumb the W/G into the base of the up-pipe, just above the header flange and behind the AC compressor, and just dump it to atmosphere (not concerned with the noise). I'm a little concerned about what that will do to O2 readings though, being so close to the sensor.

Any thoughts?

My goals: I'm only looking to run around 8-10 psi or so on pump gas until I get the thing tuned...eventually adding alky and upping the boost to settle at upwards of 20 in the end.

Waste Gate

I run mine on the crossover no problems. You don't have to crawl under the car to adjust the boost you get you some heavy duty vacuum lines from Summit or your local ricer parts store and run you an adjustable boost controller inside the car. Mine is mounted in my center console. Adjust boost on the fly.

Thanks for the advice, that helps with one of my concerns. I have tried bleed valves in the past with the stock w/g setup, but had problems with boost creep, but a good quality "controller" (valve) would probably make that much better. I'm still a little worried that this turbo is going to outflow the Deltagate and cause boost control issues, but I guess I'll try it and see what happens.

The Deltagate is one I picked up off Ebay a few years ago...don't know much about it...it is a Deltagate Mark II, p/n 10101...has a small sticker on top that says 7...guessing it has a 7-lb spring in it?

The turbo I'm running was built by John Craig at Limit Engineering back in about '01...at the time, it was supposedly the largest turbo you could use in the stock location...it uses a larger exhaust housing, and the intake (compressor) side has been bored out to accept a larger wheel (similar to a 60-1 maybe?)...John said it will support up to 600hp...I think it was the same one Lee Thompson was running in his hot air car at the time.

I will post some pics, but right now it's nothing to look at.

The turbo I have is very similar to this one http://gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/TA33.html, but with a larger exhaust housing (Precision 0.63): http://gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/exhuasthousings.html

Check the inlet and outlet size of the Delta gate. You need at least a 38mm and it won't hurt at all if it's bigger.

Okay...the inlet on this W/G is about 32mm, and the outlet is 35mm. Looks like it will be marginal at best.

The hole in the factory turbo is 21.23mm so you might be a little small but you may be ok. I just checked the housing I have sitting here to make sure.