LOOKING for a reliable GN

e-jeezy

hey guys, im new here. from south florida (palm beach county) i fell in love with the grand national when my neighbor moved across the street with one, and for years ive been begging him to sell it to me but he wont lol.

eBay Motors: Buick : Grand National (item 320333055432 end time Jan-23-09 14:14:45 PST)

well i found a gn near me, but the vin doesnt match up. the carfax report says its a regal...not a gn. it doesnt come with the badges on the car. would someone be able to tell me if its a scam?? or if its worth it. i dont have much cash...im willing to sell my explorer for like 10k to buy this car

also if that doesnt work out i would still like to find a GN preferably under 100k miles and under $10k

thanks in advance,
--sean

Thanks a lot guys! would there be any reason for the badges to be taken off? I'm assuming it got re-painted or something. would you guys say that it is a quality GN and wont be a hassle if I purchase it? I really dont have the money to spend on parts and stuff if it were to break down often.

here is a link to the ebay auction of the GN

ebay DOT com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1986-buick-grand-national-v6-turbo-all-original-florida_W0QQitemZ320333055432QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item320333055432&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

I really dont have the money to spend on parts and stuff if it were to break down often.

This is a 20+ year old car dude. If you want reliable, this may not be your cup of tea from a "not spending money on it" point of view. Seriously.

You are already going to have to address the power windows. It is a good looking car.

Some of us drive these every day, some of us do not. We all have stories. Are you ready to start your collection of stories?

well, that may have come out wrong. Of course I'll have to spend money on it, but I was just curious of their reliablity...as in: would I have to worry about blowing a head gasket, or anything MAJOR that would cost me thousands of dollars? I've spent more money maintaining my 05' explorer than I should, I'm sick of dropping my car off every 20k miles with a new problem, first it was the a/c then the control arms, now its the brakes that I just got machined 3 months ago...its begining to get TOO costly just to drive. i'm sure with an older model car such as the grand national, the little problems are a cheap fix, but when we're looking at like major engine/tranny problems it seems like it could empty your wallet pretty quick.

So my question is: are GN's known to have any major issues with any type of problems that could categorize them as really unreliable? I know I can fix most of the stuff myself, but tools limit me, i cant weld or anything extensive like that.

You are already going to have to address the power windows. It is a good looking car.

Some of us drive these every day, some of us do not. We all have stories. Are you ready to start your collection of stories?

I could already write a novel, whats wrong with adding a few chapters? lol
I'm just in love with this car, and just dont want to get F'd in the A on some online scam. I don't have great luck with ebay or any type of internet business, so my trust level is pretty low :frown:

No major issues, BUT there are preventative measures to ensure that you do not harm the car....and these are very inportant!

Cheap gas and boost = bye bye head gaskets - solution is alcohol injection/good chip/good tune. (or run highest octane and don't go over 15 psi)

Change the oil regularly (not like you wouldn't)

GET A SCAN TOOL (such as TL, Powerlogger, etc.) This helps YOU make sure all is well.

Some of these are performance modifications, but they double as insurance on your investment.

I'm sure others will begin to chime in and add to this list.

It does look like a very nice car.

Are you in the FLA area? If so post in the FLA section and ask if someone will go look at the car with/for you. Hell, even if you don't live in FLA.

thanks guys, this is the best place to get good advice.
I do live in florida, and i went to go see the car 2 days ago, but the front clip or bumper was getting painted due to weathering i believe, hopefully not a crash. ill ask around in the florida section. thanks again;)

+2 on everything notacarlo said.

You don't need welding skills but you may want to invest in a good set of tools first. This is not a car that you will be able to enjoy if you cannot work on it (it's pricey to get mechanical work done period; and most of us prefer to not let just anyone touch our cars, thus if you can't work on it and you take it to a Buick expert ((ie: not the dealership)) you will pay even more).

That said, they don't really break any more than any other car but they can get expensive to fix and of course the big thing is the mod bug. Once you catch it, just open the hood and throw your wallet in there because you ain't coming back. ;)

These cars aren't super expensive but I can guarantee you that many of us on this board could buy a house or two with the amount of money we've thrown at our cars.

Nevertheless, the Turbo Regal is the greatest car ever made. (A big STFU for those who may want to flame me:D j/k) If you get one and you take the time to read and learn and ask questions and take it easy on the car when you start out- You will enjoy every minute of the car. If you try some typical Ricer crap and crank the boost without the supporting mods you will break stuff, it will be expensive to fix and you will not enjoy the car.

Just my .02

Good Luck on your future purchase...

These cars aren't super expensive but I can guarantee you that many of us on this board could buy a house or two with the amount of money we've thrown at our cars.

Yeah...Now I'm thinking I should have bought G-body Parts, put Hofer in the back building trannys, and THEN paid off my mortgage.:biggrin:

thanks guys, this is the best place to get good advice.
I do live in florida, and i went to go see the car 2 days ago, but the front clip or bumper was getting painted due to weathering i believe, hopefully not a crash. ill ask around in the florida section. thanks again;)

Be sure to check this bumper. I've seen guys dent or bend up there stock black bumper and repaint a chrome bumper. Looks great for a couple months and then all the paint flakes off. Just keep your eyes open for little things like that. Good luck with the purchace.

i agree...i had the mod bug with my last few cars and im sure this one wont be too much different, but i dont want to go crazy with it lol...i mean eventually i will. but for now i just want my dreamcar in my driveway :)

ehh, i could find endless cars that are affordable and nice. but im set on a grand national, ive wanted one since i was a kid, so i dont think ill be changing my mind anytime soon.