Looking at a 87 GN.

ChevMCarlo84

A guy around the corner from me is selling a 87 GN with 76,000 miles. It looks mostly stock and the bodies straight. I don't see any rust. The paint is rough, pealing on the roof and trunk lid. He's asking $7,500. Sound like a decent deal, ut is there anything I might not know of to look for?

Look for rust on any body panel. Then check for rubber buggers in the tire wells to see if he beat the snot out of it on a regular basis. Typical mods are adjustable FP regulator and threaded waste gate rod on stock appearing motor. Sounds like a decent price iffeverything passes a very close inspection. Be prepared to get dirty crawling around, rear seal leak is fairly normal. Be very cautious of RUST!!

I won't buy another car without putting it on a lift or at least up on jack stands and crawling all around, inside, under, through, etc. I bought mine with " a miss" and needed a tune up.... I ended up having to buy new heads because the ones on the car were beat up.

My frame tie between the frame rails, just in front of the rear end, was broken, too. A lot of little things, and some big, that if I was more cautious I could have found.

Be picky, look it over real well! Sounds like a good deal though!

Best advice to give you is to see if one of the local TR guys in your area can either go with you or look at the car since they would know what to look for. You should also read and research GNTTYPE.org for the buyers guide as well as Kirban's two guidebooks. Good luck in your search and if the car has major issues, walk away and don't buy on your emotions! :)