Long time no talk, e85 recipe questions for my HA

MikeStarner

Broke Guy
Anyhow I'm back, bought a TA, taking care of a two year old, and a promotion left me no time for the Buick. I was wondering if anyone has tried running an 85 style setup with an 86 intake and e85, I'm looking for big street able power out of the beast in my sig and think that's the route I wanna take. I want to know if I'm an innovator, an idiot, or another guy gettin set up for disappointment. I'm thinking 21lb of boost out of a big turbo and 120lb injectors with a deatschwerks pump. Any input would be appreciated.

I have the same setup in mind. I have a 4.1 w/ 204/214 cam. Mildly ported heads with a 86 intake. I think the E85 Forum would be your best bet. I am debating whether to start with 63lbs/80lbs or just start with 120lbs. Deatschwerks pump is a great pump for E85. There are couple HA guys in this forum.

I am in the process of doing exactly that but I am also adding an intercooler and hope to have it running in the next week.

Hey Mike.
It has been in fact a long time!

Although I have no experience with 100% E-85, it is the perfect pump fuel for boosted engines.
Since you are looking at running E-85, I have a couple of questions/observations;

1-Do you have an aftermarket of modified ECU for the 120's?
2-The IC'd intake design is superior to the HA intake, but according to the archives, the ported HA intake has been in the teens.
3-How much power are you making now with the TA44?
4-What is your definition of "Big Power"?
5-Is E-85 available in your area?
6-What converter are you running?

Please don't take these questions in any way as a way of "discouraging your project".
Just wanted to get an indea of your thoughts on the questions above.
(Go Pats! . . . HAHAAA!)

Ecu, I have 6 total and 2 would cover low z injectors.LOL I don't know what I'm at now for power, BIG would be 750+, and e85 is all over out here in corn country I.e. nebraska, and I'm running a pat's but I'll change if I gotta lol

My only issue with the ta44 is that on my engine it is already pushing 2-3lb boost at 1100 rpm which shows me its too small, and it tops out or feels topped out before 4000 rpm, just feels like its wanting more air. I love it just seems too small especially with my 2500-2800 stall converter ( at least that's what I noticed not sure what it's rated)

A TA54 should get you close to where you want to be. Several have been in the 10's with it. I like the 86 intake because I can go from intercooled back to HA in minutes. This intake also moves the TB to the front of the motor. I came to the conclusion a couple of years ago if I wanted to duplicate the twin turbo Riviera engine, I would have to use a 86 intake. Like you, I am exploring the E85 route ,but plan to go twin turboed in the next couple of years. I have a good bottom end with 292 4.1 engine and mildly ported heads on my engine stand. I was looking at the TURBOTWEAK package, 63 lbs injector and a chip to start out with. My current turbo is a 87 that has been hogged out. I bought it from a local guy here. He ran low 11's. Looks to be a TA49 but he said it wasn't.

......... I don't know what I'm at now for power, BIG would be 750+, and e85 is all over out here in corn country I.e. nebraska, and I'm running a pat's but I'll change if I gotta lol
Sorry Mike.
For some reason I thought you were in New England. (My bad :redface: )

750 crank HP? Not sure that production (??) 4.1 block is strong enough to do that.
Either way, you will need a turbo that can produce around 73lb/min at that PR.
Oh, you will prpbably need a 9.5 PTC converter to put it down. LOL :D

My only issue with the ta44 is that on my engine it is already pushing 2-3lb boost at 1100 rpm which shows me its too small, and it tops out or feels topped out before 4000 rpm, just feels like its wanting more air. I love it just seems too small especially with my 2500-2800 stall converter ( at least that's what I noticed not sure what it's rated)
Sounds like it!
Now, THAT is "Zero Lag"! :cool:

A TA54 should get you close to where you want to be. Several have been in the 10's with it. . . . .
Bison just put down 592WHP with a 60-1. BP will be an issue at that level.
Still 60HP short of his goal, but what is 60HP between friends? LOL!
Very do-able . . . . on paper. :eek:

As per that crazy Marylander livin in north carackalacky, BWeavy, I should be able to do almost anything under 900 no prob. And yeah no lag at all, causes issues with tire shredding and strange launches. LOL.

Welcome back Mike. Do some reading in the E-85 section and you'll find a few suprises. One of the IC guys has even taken his IC off because E-85 works so well.:biggrin: Jamie's (turbo6x2) also using E-85 and has busted the 10's so far but is hoping for more this year.:eek:

........ One of the IC guys has even taken his IC off because E-85 works so well.:biggrin: Jamie's (turbo6x2) also using E-85 and has busted the 10's so far but is hoping for more this year.:eek:

:Cool:

Look up JDPOLZIN and his "merry bunch" over in the E85 section. They have some interesting 4.1 combo's on E85, even a Hot Air :eek:. My build will testing my 4.1 for power with very different combos.... and possible twin turbo HA.

Believe me I talk to the TFW a lot about this car, issue is it never runs long enough for them to see it lol

I found my fix for big numbers, no need to swap intake, just need ported HA intake, custom turbo, and custom throttle body. And of course fuel pump, injectors and E85.

I found my fix for big numbers, no need to swap intake, just need ported HA intake, custom turbo, and custom throttle body. And of course fuel pump, injectors and E85.

Think before you spend more money on the above swap. I thought the same thing last spring. The best thing I ever did was tune my car as it stands. Once you have achieved this moving up to E85 and blah will be easier. Just another fool

Unless I turn boost down to 12-14 lb, I can't get a good tune. The fuel out here is junk. Never consistent. So it's at least a fuel change for now and the turbo has to come off anyway so I might as well get a turbo that works with my setup, not one too small.

I've been using E85 for 3 years now without a problem. I don't think that the deatschwerks pump will be big enough to run E85 and 120's. I talked to the makers of it and he told me that 80's will be the biggest injectors that I can go and I may have to get a boost-a-pump also to be safe. I think you'll have to get double pumper atleast if you want to run 120's and E85. The reason I went with E85 was because besides straight race gas, 91 octane is the highest I can get here in Lincoln. Best part about it is much more torque and faster spooling. I did loose 3 to 4 mpg with it, but still cheaper then race gas.

Otes.