lojack reliability

SPOOLIN

How many people on here or that you know of have had there car stolen and not recovered.im wondering on its reliability.:confused:

From what I have seen, it is pretty reliable.

BUT

For added comfort, I wanted something I could use and track the bum myself.

Enter...On-Board Communications. The reciever/transponder is about $250. It has a backup battery and also runs/charges off of your 12v system. It uses cellular based tech.
Then you buy a bucket of pings. Send a message is 1 ping and a receipt of message is another. You buy a bucket of 400 for $40 per year.

It tracks:
On/Off
Idle time
Speed
Maps location
Uses a Geo-Grid so if it leaves a 300 foot circle (can also be set for greater distances) - you know about it.
E-mails you on status
Disables starter or fuel pump at your whim - can also turn it back on
Has a motion sensor
Has a stolen mode
Live support with real time tracking
Internal battery status

All kinds of neat stuff. We have it on about 12 pieces of heavy equipment.

12720 Hillcrest Road, Suite 300, Dallas, TX 75230 • Phone: 214-346-0300 • Fax: 214-346-0361

It will also alert you when you need oil changes, or any kind of service.
It will tell you when your kid goes over 55 mph.

It is instant. Whenever one of the parameters you set is "violated" a message is ent out.

This is what a message looks like

Event: Left Geo-Fence
Unit: 36679854 - '06 Sterling Dump Truck
Date: Dec 6 2007 7:40AM
Address: 1951-2172 California Crossing Rd,Dallas,TX,75220

On Board

Dan are you planning on running it yourself? Sounds like it does a good job keeping track of your heavy equipment.

When I go out of town, I steal one of the extras and wire it to my battery. I know where the car is, I just cant shut it off.

By the way, it's web based so you can check up on your vehicle whenever you please.

notacarlo thanks for sharing this product i called them and waiting for them to return my call.

CarTracks

Cartracks looks interesting can also keep an eye on your children's whereabouts, or your wifes. 250 sounds reasonable for sure for Peace of mind.

I got those prices in January of 07. We also bought 16 of'em.

If it gets confusing, tell them you want the same set up as Rebcon, Inc. You know someone that works there - me. Dan

I had to have a "Boomerang" vehicle tracking system installed on my new '08 F350 at my insurance company's request... I was told that if I did not have one installed, that my policy would be much higher...or that they would not insure me at all!...Fortunately, I did not have it stolen, so I do not know the effectiveness of the system...Hope I never will either!
"Boomerang" is the equivalent of "LoJak"...I think they're affiliated together...LoJak in the Us and Boomerang in Canada...

Claude :)

Lojack is very reliable, but you have to know your car is stolen, then you have to contact the police department, then they have to enter it as stolen. Then you have to hope that police departments in the area have the Lojack devices in their cruisers. The stolen car will send a code to the cruisers in the area when the signal is strong enough. When the police type in the code it pops up with a stolen hit, along with what the plate is, and what type of car it is. It then points by arrows the location of the vehicle.

There was a guy in the NW recently who was busted for stealing cars. A car with Lojack alerted the police to the area. He claimed that when he stole a car that he knew had Lojack, he would park it in a metal building to defeat the signal (similar to bad cell phone reception). I don't know wether or not that actually works, but it sounds reasonable. My car is currently not running, but as soon as it is I plan to get Lojack or another similar device. Every little bit helps!!

We actually recovered a piece of stolen equipment because of another vehicle that had lojack. It just so happened that our 580 was there when they went after the car. They recovered something like 1.1 million dollars worth of stolen property because of one tracking device.

They are all worth it IMHO.

He claimed that when he stole a car that he knew had Lojack, he would park it in a metal building to defeat the signal (similar to bad cell phone reception).
So he parked all of them in a metal garage to let them cool off before moving them? Sounds like he didnt know enough because he got caught. They usually put the car in a public lot and let it sit for 48 hrs to see if it is a Lo-jack car or not. If not they move it to their tear down area and rip it apart. They dont have time to risk looking for a metal building when they could simply steal another car. I hate thieves. Id love to catch one of those bastards with his legs danging out my car door. I would shut his legs in the door and f uck him up real good as a message to his thief buddies. Id also smash his bitch hands with a hammer till they were broken into thousands of pieces. I lost a GN back in 97 to some scums and am still angry about it.

The favorite place to put a car is in a shipping container. Once it's in there, no recovery.

On-Board is supported in the continental U.S. and Canada. They might have expanded, not sure. I've only had to call support twice in a year.

there are lots of good tracking systems and i have been using them for years------tried lots of them-------not the cheapest but currently i believe one of the best is manufactured by trimble industries and the software to use is mobiltrace.com--------this is used widely by law enforcement nationwide------there is a tv show called "bait car" and they use this setup-----------incredibly effective system extremely reliable and every TR should have one----------i have rather strong feelings about car theft--------in the old west when a man's existance depended on his horse they used to hang horse thieves--------today my happiness depends on my GN's---------and i think they should hang car thieves--------and i volunteer to pull the lever--------what a thrill that would be-------but the bleeding hearts will not stand for it................RC

He claimed that when he stole a car that he knew had Lojack, he would park it in a metal building to defeat the signal (similar to bad cell phone reception). I don't know wether or not that actually works, but it sounds reasonable.

It's my understanding Lojack can transmit thru buildings and tunnels.