Lockup problems

godwingn87

I seem to be having a problem with my lockup coming on & off in all the gears...
It only unlocks when I hit the break some of the time... I know there is a switch on the break but is it the same one for the brake lights? I was told there is a part in the valve body area that also controls it but it seems to me like it would be some kind of electrical problem being it wants to lock & unlock in in all the gears...
Any feed-back is appreciated..... :confused:

Yes, it is the same switch as the brake light switch. Need to describe your problem more. Does it lock in all gears? The trans is designed so it can't lock in 1st. It should only lock in 3rd or 4th with a stock chip. If it is locking in 2nd and more so when the trans is warm you could have a sticking lockup solenoid in the trans. What's your setup? Mods? Chip?

I have a 93 street chip but it did the same thing with my old chip... It seems to lock half way between 1st gear then unlock during the shift to 2nd then lock again half way through it and the same in third... it doesn't do it all the time but the only sigh of lockup i get is when its acting up.. other wise it don't lock up at all.... I'm going to drop it off at the transmission shop that rebuilt it last year tomorrow but I wanted to try to see if the problem could be on the electrical side.... If so, it's my problem and I want to know what I can do to track it down.... Btw ,I had the same problem before I had it rebuilt and it does seem to only do it after it's warmed up... Thanks again

I don't think your describing the problem exactly right but my guess would be a bad lockup solenoid in the trans. Was it replaced during the last rebuild?