Lock up converter stopped locking up. Any ideas?

breiter

Coolboost
I searched the board for a while and found a couple of things to try but still doesn't work. I have verified my TPS settings, I tried grounding pin A to pin F (while cruising at 50 mph), and I reset the computer but it still won't lock. All my mods are listed in my signature. My chip is set to lock at 45mph. I drove it this morning to go get some fuel and it worked. On the way back home it quit locking up. I have 2600 miles on the drive train and engine. The brake lights work too so I don't think it is the brake switch. It shifts perfectly 1st through OD. Just can't get the converter to lock up. Ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!

From my own personal experiences with a similar issue and my talks with my mech try jumping A and F while the car is on but not running and see if you hear a clicking noise.

Like i said before i just recently ran into this same problem. I sent out the converter and tranny and had both looked at come to find out the converter clutch packings(believe thats what its called) wore or burnt up, granted i have just over 6k miles on my set up. What caused this to happen is still unclear, although the thought of a bad TCC solenoid was tossed around, the tranny showed no issues but it is being freshened up and the TCC solenoid replaced.

Im far from being an expert in this field im just speaking on behalf of my personal experiences and talks with my mech.

If the problem is intermittent it still can be the brake switch. The brake lights are on a different set of contacts.

Thanks for the responses LS954 and mikestertwo. I did short A to F with the battery on sitting still and did not hear a click but thought I noticed a little spark when I touch the alligator clips. I did some more reading and I am going to assume the TCC solenoid is bad. I will take the car to a transmission shop and have them pull the pan and take a look. They are experienced with 2004R and happens to be the same shop who built mine with the Art Carr parts I provided. (I watched them build it so I know my parts are in there) :)

Found the problem and it wasn't the TCC solenoid. The converter came apart. I am sending it back to Pat's and Steve said he would repair it under warranty.

Be best to pull your pump out and check to make sure it didnt get scored up with metal pcs when the convertor died. If it is and your PSI is low its gonna start to fade

I agree 100%. The transmission shop already pulled the pump, checked for problems and cleaned it up. It was caught early so we don't think there is any damage. Fresh fluid and filter too. Converter should be rebuilt on Friday and back in next Wednesday.

Got the car back today. Had the converter feshened up, new style l/u (no clutch spring), and restalled to 3600/3800. Definitely can tell the difference in building boost. Car feels much more responsive. Now it's time to rebuild the rear end.

Well as a little follow up...the converter flashes around 4000 rpm. I ran the car last night and it pushed through the converter the whole 1/8 th mile. Boost was almost immediate and it over powered the slicks. Worse, it sat on the rev limiter around 5600 rpm through second and third. Car slowed by 1/2 second and dropped 12 mph. So another lesson for bigger is not always better!! I will pull the converter and have it restalled around 3400/3500. Lesson learned. My fault, not Pat's Converters.