Location of IAT sensor...

BLACK MAGIC RACING

formerly turbo_canuck
I was wondering what the benefits would be of moving my IAT sensor from my MAF pipe to after the intercooler, in the intake tract somewhere. I'm running an older FAST system, and every engine i've seen has theirs in either the up-pipe, or in the actual intake. any suggestions?:confused:

You should do it. It will allow you to get the tune up a lot closer. I recommend this for every speed density conversion.

Here's where I put mine. Didn't use a bung, but rather tapped threads directly into the up pipe. Click the pic to enlarge.

click

im gonna try to move mine from the stock location in the cold air intake to the plenum one of these days, i have been 137.5mph with the iat not in the plenum so im wiating for a track rental to move it and re-tune

Lance Ward told me that a long time ago.... I've got the IAT at the very bottom of my intake at the back. It's a good spot there where it's not messing with air flow but still gets a great reading.
X2 for putting it on the hot side.

Oh.. BTW.. always do what Cal says ;)
~Scott

Bung with thread size?

Does anyone know where i can buy a bung with the correct threads for the IAT so I can relocate it? Or do most people tap threads into the up pipe?

Thanks for any help. - RossJ

If I remember right it's 3/8 Pipe thread.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. ;)
Alot of guys put it at the back of the upper plenum.
~Scott

Confirmation

Let me make sure I am folowing you here - I am a little slow.
When you are saying the back of the plenum - are you talking about
near the back of the motor by the factory coil pack and then tap it into
the "dog house" upper plenum? I was thinking of tapping into the up pipe to the TB. I am guessing you better have a very good seal on this since it will see boost where as before it only was in a vacuum - sorta.

Thanks again!

As you can see by my picture earlier in this thread, I just drilled a hole in the up pipe, and then tapped it with a 3/8 NPT tap. Added just a little thread tape and screwed it in. Seals perfect. That up pipe (stock) is really hard steel.

Gotcha

Thanks Dave - I think I will do the same. It will work out better on the room I have to work with in my combination. I did not notice the pic - thought it was part of your signature. I am running the stock up-pipe so it will not be a problem.

Thanks!
RossJ