Local Speed Shops

QWK

I was just wondering if anyone still uses their Local Speed Shop for parts, advice, just hanging out, etc etc Also, if anyone has any pictures of their showroom, well that would be cool also.
I hear alot of "newbies" saying that they have never stepped foot in a true Traditional Speed Shop, and that they buy all their parts online. :eek:

I guess this will turn into a question: Are Local Speed Shops a thing of the past?? :(

All the ones have have been to, have parts for Camaros, Trans Ams, Novas, etc. Most don't even carry parts fo our TRs. I jst order my stuff on line also.

There are still a couple left in CT, but I mostly only go there if I'm in a pinch. It's got to be tuff competing with the on-line suppliers.

There is a good local speed shop in the Denver area - if you happen to have a carbed Chevy - On track Performance. I have purchsed generic type parts from them - safety harness, line-lock, wheel screws, etc. There are more ricer shops around, however.

I frequent my local speed shop 2-3 times a week. Sometimes to shoot the breeze, but often to buy stuff. My son always goes with me, and I think that this a fantastic way for teens to get involved with the sport. This shop is focused heavily toward "tuners/sport compacts" but since I've gotten to know the owners, they have been gravitating toward the American muscle car. I'm sure that they will always remain biased toward "Tuners" as this is where most of the money is being spent these days. I will admit, that I do pay slightly more buying local, but I have always supported local businesses, and when in need, they have always supported me. Sponsorships to local car, and sport events are a few examples--- not to mention service long after the parts have been installed. Speed shops are just a great place to hang on a nice evening, and I for one will be very saddened when the day comes that they are gone. Later, Brian

There is a great Speed shop here in Cambridge Ontario called Evan's Race Products that work on GNs on a regular basis. They are almost always there until midnight or later just hanging out with people and working on cars. Great atmosphere.

Just found a shop here locally that reminds me of the old Super Shops. Went in to check it out, and it felt like a time warp....

When I told him what I had (I was in the Impala SS that day) in the garage, the look on his face was priceless! He started asking all kinds of questions about GNs, alky injection, how can such a small motor make so much power, etc.

Here's the best thing- I asked him some questions about getting some work done, and he wasn't too sure, but he said he would call in the morning. True to his word, I got the call at 9AM.

He's got my business- besides, he carries M/T drag radials in stock! And methanol!

G&M Honest Performance in Federal Way, WA is the place. Their website

All the little local speed shops are gone,But 30 minutes up the road i got a real big one.

ohio_2005.jpg

There are a few good old fashion speed shops in the St. Louis area but probably the best is Wise. I bought several things from them when I had my 1979 Cutlass with a 406 Chevy. Still in business since 1961! Check them out!
www.wisespeedshop.com

Craig

We have two main speed shops here in town but noone ever hangs out or anything at them. One is K-Motion which is pretty well known and the other that I use for parts on my wagon is Autotech. We have two other shops that just do work for the most part and one is Auto Specialty who has a dyno and all but they seem to be going downhill in my opinion. The other is Gililand Motors who is getting into the performance end pretty well. He is big into the performance world and has helped me and my buddies quite a bit on all our cars. He has a 502 in an extended cab 4 x 4 chevy pickup that runs mid 12's! It's nice to have these performance oriented people around to help us out when we need it since it seems alot of people are forgetting about the old cars and performance in general.

they have all closed up around here. there were 3 super shops .all kids running it and didnt know what a nova or chevelle was so now there is a bunch of import shopps taking over the muscle car shopps. it sucks so i have to buy my parts online and pay shipping. ans in melrose park has been out of busness for 6 months now, and i dont like street performance in elk grove..

In my neck of the woods most shops are RICE.
Some are both.

But I have seen a mustang 5.0 shop go out of buisness. You can't hinge on 1 brand of car. Most speed shops need to be diverse.

The JEGS & SUMMIT are real competative with prices. The only thing local speed shops can offer is service to install items for people with No KOWLEDGE

Little6pack said:
No KOWLEDGE

Isn't it funny when people misspell words like that? Like an oxymoron. :biggrin:

Anyway, on the subject: All the online and mail order shopping has killed the local speed shop. They can't compete with the prices, or the volume. Most people, especially the younger generation it seems, can't grasp the concept of supporting local business. The they bitch because the dealer just screwed up their performance camshaft install.