Little round seal

tomard

80 Vette with a 4BQ
I have tranny back together, but in retrospect, started thinking about the little round seal that goes in through the rear of tranny and against center piece. It is the one I had to use a ground #4 eze-out to get out.

Does the seal go into bore, metal end with small hole first (against the center), or the small hole/metal side last (closer to valve body) .... The seal looks like one half is metal, and other half is metal center with black rubber around it.

Also WHAT is that seal called (if I have to get another one somewhere) and get it in right ......

That seal is the

Low/ Reverse clutch housing seal. Rubber side goes in first to seal against the housing. No seal--no manual low or reverse.

I think I put it in right then ..... will know for sure when I test it out .....

so no reverse gear or manual lows, if not!
Thanks

If you did it wrong you can remove it with the trans still in the car.

Yeah, I figured I could .... but I have a front tranny leak :( too ..... I was taking it SO slow to avoid it, but I am going to test it on the road first before I tear into it, in case I have other issues ..... so I can fix them all (hopefully) in one attempt!

I backed it out of garage and putted around the neighborhood a little ..... guess it is in right .... still need to do some TV/throttle adjustments, but she is rollin' ..... for now .... still need to get in there and fix the front/pump leak ....