List what your setup consists of

i keep hearing jl audio makes the best subs from alot of people what you guys think?? Are fosgate just as goood??? Audiobahn?

All the equipment that you mentioned is very good equipment, let your ears and wallet decide what is best for you. I will always be a Rockford Fosgate fan but I am always open to other brands of equipment, each one will always have its pros and cons. Its just up to you.........

to have a balanced system yes i want a balanced system how many watts do i need going to my subs. I have 50 x 4 head unit powering the speakers in the car and that is it.

I dont know if you read much but if you read the specs on a subwoofer, it will tell you the continuous power and r.m.s. power. Each sub is different in design, performance, sound and power handling and you should match or slightly exceed the power of the amp to the rated handling power of the sub. It is better to feed a sub more power than it is to under power it.

Go pick up some copies of car audio magazines and read its contents, you will be amazed at what you learn in just one issue.

You can apply what you learned in just reading and paying attention to what you read in the articles and channel that knowledge into your car to help you put together a nice sounding system that you can install yourself with the proper know how and proper tools.

mcss383 and darkfa8 have spent alot of time reading and researching tech articles to learn more about car audio and are very knowledgable about the mechanics of sound which has helped them pick and choose their equipment to install into their cars.

If you lived close to me, I would let you borrow an R.T.I manual that I have and read front to back which has helped me better understand car audio design and basics. Very good information.

i want people to turn heads, will 250.2/360.2/500.2/800.2
which fosgate amp will get me noticed but not make deeaf.

since u said that you will be going with the AW1500, then I say go with the Power 500.2. For $80 its my opinion that the much better crossover is worth the extra $$ over the standard punch series.

Audiobahn rates that sub around 700 or so....but they overrate their equipment big time. Since your going ported, I would NOT recommend more than 500rms to that sub. 500 will give you the "head turning" that you want. I am only running around 300 or so to my Lanzar and it can get too loud on certain songs (ie techno or rap).

hmmm

Hey AudioWizard, can I borrow that R.T.I. ? :) I'd like to read it, or anything else I can get my hands on. I'll trade you that Navone/Clark book I got .. do a temporary book swap ;)

As for JL, I love their products mainly because they are decently priced and tons of their stuff is on the used market. I got my pair of JL 10W1s off ebay for about $70 and they are mint.

I also recently bought another JL 10W1 for $20 off Ebay and it just needed a new surround. So I spent about $54 total for a mint speaker....and then gave it to my best friend for him to use in his turbo regal... heh....well heck, I hadn't gotten him anything for his birthday and he insisted on paying me anyway for it...so I made $50 hah

Like I've said before, buy as much power as you can afford. You CANNOT have enough. You can always turn the volume down, but you can't make a 100watt amp provide like a 400watt amp can.

AND please, please, please, for love's sake, READ and try and develop an understanding. If you do indeed want to improve the sound of your car, learn how to by paying attention and reading. If you want to turn heads, you could drive around in a chicken outfit :D with Cotton Eye Joe blaring on the stereo hahah

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by darkfa8
Hey AudioWizard, can I borrow that R.T.I. ? :) I'd like to read it, or anything else I can get my hands on. I'll trade you that Navone/Clark book I got .. do a temporary book swap ;)

Sure Dan :) , its Gary Biggs's manual that he gave me several years ago from about '91. Let me see what it would cost to copy it and I can send it to you, its all loose leaf so you can put it into a binder so you can have your own copy or I can send it to you and you can run a copy of it.

trading...kewl :)

Thanks Audiowizard. If you can get a deal on getting it copied I'd be really appreciative. Once the copy arrives, I'll send you the Navone/Clark book if you'd like.

Just send it back once you're done, I like that book heh ;)

Something else I noted, in a previous post by 82-regal...Jeeps SUCK for car audio systems...because, like convertibles, they have no solid enclosure.... unless it is a hardtop Jeep. So most Jeep owners or convertible owners need to run ridiculous amounts of power for thier subs to even make a dent.

As for the wires in the rear of the car, just run new ones. Some 12-gauge wire will be more than enough.

and then, pick a brand and stick to it heh.

Originally posted by mcss383
humm i might want a copy of that too....

I'll hook you up too Bradley :) . Are you still coming up in December?

Dan, I'll see what it costs to copy manual. For others that may be curious R.T.I. stands for "Rockford Training Institute" just a little FYI.

i have decided i am done with car audio, i need a new car instead. This is my setup fosgate 3.5 in the front and 10 inch he in the rear. I still have my head unit too. The only things I may do is get bass blockers for the 3.5 and then a fosgate amp to power that 10 and thats it. I need a new car. My car is sort of a beater so i need to get a car thats alittle better. I dont think it is going to be a g-body this time. I think I am going to get an iroc since they are not gonna make camaro/trans am anymore. Its either I get an iroc or a 4th gen but its gonna have to have the v6 but if i get the roc i will get probably the 350 tpi.

Are you still coming up in December?

I'm not sure....i still have soo many plan flyin around in my head I don't know what I want to do. lol

I have found some shops in Houston that sell Dynaudio, Focal and Boston so I will be going there and find which brand I like the best, then head over to ebay to buy em. lol (Im not payin $900 for a component set...)

My car audio consists of:
1) Kenwood MASK 61 color-changing head unit w/ satelite radio
1) Kenwood 9-band 140+db Equalizer w/ separate sub levels
2) Memphis audio 3.5's in the dash
2) Cerwin-Vega 6x9's in the rear decklid, w/ the 4x10 conversion
1) MTX 8000 12" sub in the trunk
1) Jensen 500 watt amp. just for the sub.
2) sets of bass blockers...900hz for the 3.5's and 300hz for the
6x9's

My previous car (a regal, now I own a GN) consisted of the same, with the exception of the 3.5's being infinity, and I also custom installed Infinity 6.5's above the rear armrests...

The setup that I have now, is amasing...It completely DEMOLISHES that previous one...I believe that I owe it to those Memphis Audio 3.5's....If your looking for crisp, glass-shattering highs...look NO further!

Just my $.02

Lets see if I can remember....

Front to back.

AC Delco battery :),
Phoenix Gold 100A breaker,
Monster 4g to the trunk (pos and neg twisted)
Kenwood KDC PS907 Head (8v pre-out)
STP (Shielded twisted pair) line level cables
Rockford Symmetry EPX w/29 band 1/3 octave Eq (12db/oct)
Rockford Punch 100 feeding Image Dynamics CD2Comp HLCD's (Horn loaded compression drivers) running 600hz-20K
Punch 100 running Kenwood KPS 1600HQ 6.5" Midbass drivers in Audioforms door pods running 600 to 80hz
Rockford Punch 200 (bridged) feeding 2 Rockford SPP128 Pro subs paralleled running 80hz down
Autosound2000 Aperiodic Membranes on the subs with ANN network.

Placed best of 4th in IASCA and 3rd in USAC events. 141 max DB. (Blew fuse for sub amp)

Decent imaging...kicks woulda been better...

http://members.aol.com/jtesta1966/stereo.htm