Audio questions! Can you help me?

Old_Man_HyPsi87

I don't know where to start here but I will just start...
Head unit: Pioneer DEH-P7500MP in the dash already and working(sounds like an old AM transistor radio right now..)no amp hooked up.
I have 2 amps:
Jensen JPA460 and a generic 80w x 80w amp(I have used the generic one in several vehicles)
Rockford Fosgate Punch HE-2 12" sub I have used this sub and the generic amp together and like what it does together.
I have a pair of ORION Cobalt Series 6x9 100W 3ohm for the rear deck already mounted with the typical adapters. they are only driven by the head unit right now and...yeah sounds like a tin can!
I need speakers for the doors and dash and want a little help there from you guys. I don't want to do any cutting on the doors really but would be willing to do some minor trimming if there is no better way.
I also have a pair of Orion XTR 5.2's for the doors but one is blown. So that sucks!
I need to run the main power to the trunk. Want to know where to hook up to the power...battery? Back of the alternator? or what? The battery is a side post. What do you do there?
I need an amp wiring kit but have enough 2 GUAGE wire that is more than adequate in size and its free for use but then I gotta get a fuse for it and maybe I would be better off just gettin an amp kit.
I got plenty of 16 guage speaker wire.
I got a set of tweeters and I have the crossover boxes for them(if thats what ya call them)
To get to the door speakers, do the complete door panels need to come off or can the Concert Sound covers come off on there own?

Money is very limited right now so I can't just go out and spend a ton.
But in time I will get what I need.
Thanks!
Jeff

Hook the amp wire to the battery, then run the ground wire to the body. 8 gauge should be plenty for 1 subwoofer, you can use 2 gauge but I think thats a little overkill. For speakers I think I have 3 1/2" in the dash but they wont clear the dash plate, so I have to fiberglass a grill for them sometime :rolleyes: . I would use your generic amp to power the 6x9s and the other speakers. Use the Jenson to power the sub. Dont forget to run a remote wire to the rear for the Jenson. If you have the space I would try and mount the other amp in the cabin somewhere so you wont have to run wires from the trunk into the doors, dash etc..... It doesnt take a bunch of money if you already have most of the equiptment, I would get 8 gauge wire from crutchfield and buy a inline fuse for it. They have a sale now and its 13 bucks for a 25ft peice of 8 gauge :eek: thats a pretty smokin deal. Good luck

thanks i already ordered an amp kit (4 guage) for 23.00 now i will have to come up with some door speakers and eventually some 3.5's for the dash. gotta build a box for the sub so i will be busy for awhile on that. not to mention my other projects. so that will give me time to save a little money for more speakers. anymore input is welcome!

The cable in these generic amp kits are not truly 4 gauge, the copper threading will be more like an 8 gauge, which for what your doing is enough. If anything I would find some real 4 gauge and use the one from the kit to supply extra juice from your alternator to the battery., if bucks are an issue you should be good anyways.

Go to the autozone and buy the side post with the extension for the power hookup. If you want to put speaker on the doors and you have the concer sound , use 5.25 speakers with not so much of a big magnet as the passenger side door has the window motor right there(in my case), the driver side is cake, a simple cutoff disc will get the job done. you can leave the small 3.5s in the dash powered by the pioneer and put the rear and door speaker to the amp. that punch speaker should sound good with some real power behind it. if you dont have $$ and you plan on buyig speakers and you dont want to cut the doors, then i know theres guy selling some kick panels with speakers on here some where. search for kickpanels in the for sale forum

2 gauge is way overkill, imo, but if i had it, i would probably run it anyways just to not do it ever again incase i decided to upgrade.though 2 gauge will be more difficult to run.i would also run 3 rcas at one time so you dont do it again in the future.

car looks good, nice paint

thanks i already ordered an amp kit (4 guage) for 23.00 now i will have to come up with some door speakers and eventually some 3.5's for the dash. gotta build a box for the sub so i will be busy for awhile on that. not to mention my other projects. so that will give me time to save a little money for more speakers. anymore input is welcome!

I have several 3.5 dash speakers you can have if you pay the shipping. I have a set of Rockford Fosgates that sound pretty good

Cs Ii

Anyone know how much depth there is for new speakers? there are so many different depth in new ones. I am talkin about the 5.25's in the door of course...Thanks!

no door depth

I have not had the left door panal off yet but there is no depth behind my right door panel as the window motor is there. The only space is in front of the door panel. You might want to consider modding the concert sound covers or making your own small enclosures and just mount them on the door panels . Anyway that is what I am doing. I modded a sub box I already had but unless you just want to make the box you would be surprised what you can find online. search "cheap car audio" and see what you think. Unless you already have the materials, by time you buy the right thickness mdf, sealer/glue, carpet, damping material, port, etc. you will have a similar investment to what a single sub box is on some sites. Shipping is actually not that much when you consider the time you will spend-if you have the right saws, drill, etc.

front speakers

i used the pioneer premier components 5.25, the magnet is not too deep i think the speaker dekpt is 2 1/8. cut a little ear off the window motor and it will just barely clear. if you spend big bucks you can get even smaller magnets on i think it was they were mb quarts or something. but i didnt go that route bc they were like 250 bucks.

Door speakers

Yeah I don't have 250 for door speakers either.
I was wondering if I could make a spacer that goes between the CSII speaker cover and the door panel. I know now that it is part of the door panel, but i think I could spend some time making something that would give you just enough room to place them in there yet not anything enormous.
I am talkin 1/2" to no more than 3/4" thick...I am gonna look into it...Anyone out there try this before?

Yeah I don't have 250 for door speakers either.
I was wondering if I could make a spacer that goes between the CSII speaker cover and the door panel. I know now that it is part of the door panel, but i think I could spend some time making something that would give you just enough room to place them in there yet not anything enormous.
I am talkin 1/2" to no more than 3/4" thick...I am gonna look into it...Anyone out there try this before?

Thats a great idea. The CSII grill unscrews from the lower door panel. Just get some MDF or some lexan and trace out the speaker grill.

Hey DailyDrifter!

Thanks man!
I would use a composite material of some sort, like you said lexan. I have an idea of what it would look like, but usually it never ends up quite the same as what I have in my head! LOL. But I want it to be just enough room to make enough room and still look like a normal door panel. I got the day off tomorrow, if I find time I will be gettin into it and at a minimum by the weekend-end(not a real word?) I will update this as I go. I did some searching here and like the idea of running the amp wire along the inside of the frame. Then maybe I can use that 2 guage wire with no problem...we will see!