Line lock/transbrake???

jgines

CaTcH mE iF yOu CaN
Posted this in tech section. But since I have a hotair car thought I should post it here also.

what is a line lock?
what is a trans brake?
Not sure if I got those right so please correct me if im wrong.

My questions are
what are they for?
do they do the same thing?
Is it a must to have installed?

Thanks in advance

what is a line lock?
It is a solenoid that when activated will maintain/hold the front brake pressure while allowing the rear wheels to rotate.
You press hard the brake peddle, then active the solenoid which holds the pressure on the front brake pads, let go of the brake peddle. This is used to heat up the rear tires and not heat up the rear brake shoes. This will (should) allow you to prevent the rear wheels from spinning while you power brake the car.

what is a trans brake?
A device inside the tranny that when activated (mechanically or electrically) will lock up the first & reverse gear in the tranny. This will allow you to bring the engine rpm up so that you can build your boost. When deactivated it, the reverse gear is disengaged and you "launch" or take off forward rapidly.

NO, They do NOT do the same thing.

No, you don't have to have them.

Hope this help.

Gary

or more simply:

line lock - lets you do looooong burnouts for warmup without buring up your back brakes.

trans-brake - remember how when you were young and stupid (old and stupid?) youd do "tranny-drops" in your (or preferably someone elses) car? ya know where you put it in neutral, rev it up, and slam it into drive to break loose the tires, or lauch or whatever.... well a transbrake lets you do that, without the associated worries of exploding your tranny (well, has the same effect, instead of dropping you into gear from nuetral, it does like mentioned above, and locks both 1st and reverse in at the same time, then when released, pulls out reverse, putting you safely in gear, at whatever rpm youd been staging to).... allows for some very nice 60' times :)

tranny drops now that brings back some memories lol. Thanks for the info guys:D