limits of stock headers...?

turbo2nr

Tried to search but gave up after a few attempts....

1) What are the normal limits of the stock headers?

2) Horsepower in rough estimate?

3) Biggest turbo that is not choked-out by the OEM headers?

4) Is a 66mm billet Ball-bearing turbo too large (4" inlet on compressor cover w/ no MAF), and could I possible hit a 10.0 or even 9.9 in the quarter with these old things?

5) Will this turbo even be capable of going that fast with ANY brand of headers? Estimated boost level need to achieve this? Over 30PSI or around there I would assume?

This is what my car has along with non-L/U Art Car 3300 converter, FAST System, 83lb inj.
Just does not feel like this could be possible by seat of pants dyno at 20PSI the couple times I have done this.
New car for me....Just taking it slow and trying to see what I have to work with, and where to go from here before taking it to a track. LArger valves in Iron heads, Ported intake and accufab throttle. Precision Front Mount. Appears to be a Cottons 3 1/2" DP. ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Tried to search but gave up after a few attempts....

1) What are the normal limits of the stock headers?

2) Horsepower in rough estimate?

3) Biggest turbo that is not choked-out by the OEM headers?

4) Is a 66mm billet Ball-bearing turbo too large (4" inlet on compressor cover w/ no MAF), and could I possible hit a 10.0 or even 9.9 in the quarter with these old things?

5) Will this turbo even be capable of going that fast with ANY brand of headers? Estimated boost level need to achieve this? Over 30PSI or around there I would assume?

This is what my car has along with non-L/U Art Car 3300 converter, FAST System, 83lb inj.
Just does not feel like this could be possible by seat of pants dyno at 20PSI the couple times I have done this.
New car for me....Just taking it slow and trying to see what I have to work with, and where to go from here before taking it to a track. LArger valves in Iron heads, Ported intake and accufab throttle. Precision Front Mount. Appears to be a Cottons 3 1/2" DP. ?

Thanks

Stock headers have been in the 9's yes.... mid 10's no problem

the power is in the tune ...

I have been very very low 10s with them...

The biggest trouble I ever had out of them is they seem to crack a lot with the use of a 2.Step due to the extra heat that's generated.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have been very very low 10s with them...

The biggest trouble I ever had out of them is they seem to crack a lot with the use of a 2.Step due to the extra heat that's generated.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Mine cracked a LOT without even a two step. I just put the T/A stock replacements on. Spool isn't quite as good but build quality is amazing.

Thanks guys.

I guess I will keep them until they crack and spend my time and money on something else?

Like hiring a tuner! LOL

Does Cal fly around for cash?

Any other suggestions?

I am in Richmond, Va

Thanks guys.

I guess I will keep them until they crack and spend my time and money on something else?

Like hiring a tuner! LOL

Does Cal fly around for cash?

Any other suggestions?

I am in Richmond, Va

You can gusset the stock ones to stop cracking...

I'll just wait for them to crack, then buy new ones. Better Ones.
Someone else can mess with that stuff. I have very little time.

Precision 66mm will pump out enough to hit 9.99? It is billet wheel BB unit with 4" Inlet cover. Running Speed-Density and no MAF.
Of course, I realise there are hundreds of other factors....but I only care about this for the moment.
The headers and turbo...

Before I pay to have Cal or someone tune my car, I want to know if my combo could do it.
If not, then I will delay the tuning and go buy the correct parts.

I'll just wait for them to crack, then buy new ones. Better Ones.
Someone else can mess with that stuff. I have very little time.

Precision 66mm will pump out enough to hit 9.99? It is billet wheel BB unit with 4" Inlet cover. Running Speed-Density and no MAF.
Of course, I realise there are hundreds of other factors....but I only care about this for the moment.
The headers and turbo...

Before I pay to have Cal or someone tune my car, I want to know if my combo could do it.
If not, then I will delay the tuning and go buy the correct parts.

Both can get you there if the car isn't a PIGG weight wise ..

that turbo is good to 700 hp +

The headers will never be a restriction with a 3 bolt application. The compressor cover may choke the turbo itself depending on which one it is. A NL AC converter won't couple the power potential of the combo effectively . Usually 75-80lbs/min with good iron heads and 66mm inducer all in if backpressure is kept in check .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk