Lil update on my Razor Kit

So if i'm reading your data correctly it means your running after using the alky 25 degree's timing at 5200 rpms at 25 PSI. From 20 degree's before. So its an increase of 5d-6d depending on RPM at 25 PSI.

Now using straight methanol will richen up your mixture. And to be scientific.. we needs to know what concentration of alcohol is present in the "mix"

What are you basing performance numbers while testing? Just a general seat of the pants or is there any datalogging happening? Are you doing this with a WB? And then tried different AF ..

This was on the 7749 ECM as well correct?

Also as you increase timing shouldnt the EGT drop? Especially with alky.. but using the water mixed in is probably why its reading higher.

Guess your not anticipating going over 5200 and 28 lbs of boost :D

Great work Bruce... ;) Thanks for taking the time and sharing..

Razor said:
So if i'm reading your data correctly it means your running after using the alky 25 degree's timing at 5200 rpms at 25 PSI. From 20 degree's before. So its an increase of 5d-6d depending on RPM at 25 PSI.

Now using straight methanol will richen up your mixture. And to be scientific.. we needs to know what concentration of alcohol is present in the "mix"

What are you basing performance numbers while testing? Just a general seat of the pants or is there any datalogging happening? Are you doing this with a WB? And then tried different AF ..

This was on the 7749 ECM as well correct?

Also as you increase timing shouldnt the EGT drop? Especially with alky.. but using the water mixed in is probably why its reading higher.

Guess your not anticipating going over 5200 and 28 lbs of boost :D

Yep, the engine is alot more resistant to detonation.

I'll be switching to *real* alky as I get more serious about things, I still have alot of code, and I want to try some safety devices, at the lower levels before I get too crazy.

There is no stated consentration level of the alky content... :(

I don't as a matter of principal, post performance numbers, to avoid getting into the my dog is smarter then your dog p**** contests. Yes, been doing alot of data logging. So far, I'm just staying at ~ 11.8:1.

No, this is with my home brew 1227148 setup.

It would drop, but I'm adding alky, so that mins the amount of change. What I haven't figured out is why the engine likes the cooler EGTs on just gas.

This is still with my *mule* engine. With the *new* motor, I'll be leaning on it alot harder.... :)

Bruce, really need you back on straight to be able and document real numbers now that the wrenches have been placed on the appropriate fittings. :eek:

What are you using as a guide on limiting timing? Are you monitoring kr activity at one specific AFR playing with timing?

How bout playing with octane.. like 89 or 87 and straight alky.. do some logs..

Had a cust said he felt the car pickup dropping to 89 octane.

Keep up the good work..

Razor said:
What are you using as a guide on limiting timing?
Are you monitoring kr activity at one specific AFR playing with timing?

How bout playing with octane.. like 89 or 87 and straight alky.. do some logs..

Plug readings, and the Knock Sensor.
So far I'm just using the fuel tables/ corrections that I had already worked out for using gasoline. In one of your earlier posts you'd mentioned having good luck with ~11.8:1, and that's what I'd been running gasoline, so for the moment, I'm comfortable with that, and the plugs look great.

Just for grins, I've run 89, just to see what it would do. With a conservative tune, the car seems just as happy on that as 93. When I find/ if I find a local source for Methanol, I'll be switching to a lower octane.

Once I get to having a selective tune, for with and without Alky, the data logging (and comparisions), will be ALOT quicker, and more accurate.