Lifter noise after spring replacement

Nasty

empty wallet
Upgraded my valve springs to beehives. Back together and now it sounds like
the lifters are noisy, perhaps more to the pass but not sure. Always had a 1-3 second tap from the dr side on cold start ups but always went silent. I light it run for about 2-3 minutes but did not subside. Any suggestions?

Comp stuff, stock rockers.

No, still noisey. Put about 12 miles on it. Got on it a couple of times. I always had a cold tap for the first second or so, but this is a little different. Best described maybe as softer, not as sharp...but constant with rpm. Definitely under manifold noise, poss more noticible on pass side??? I pulled that cover and rocker assy, reinstalled. No change. Going to drive it again to work.

I am open to more suggestions.

Did you use the locator cups? Did you check retainer to guide/seal clearance?
Did you check installed ht, and installed seat/open pressures?

Did you use the locator cups? Did you check retainer to guide/seal clearance?
Did you check installed ht, and installed seat/open pressures?

No locator cups or shims installed. 26915 springs, 772 Ti retains, 648 machined locks. I thought it would be a straight forward spring install...guess not :eek:.

No specs were checked. I don't have much in the way to measure height or pressures. Trying to check height in a car seems near impossible unless there is a special tool to make it easy.

This noise is not like a stuck or collapsed lifter, it just sounds like the roller lifters are very loud. Before pulling the 980 springs, the valve train was barely audible.

If the spring height is too high or low, would it cause this? This is audible the whole time while idling, might be a little louder hot-tough to say. Engine drove ok, no miss or flutter-even under load.

Any tips is helpful.

Just wondering if you can take a video with sound and post a link. A lot of the cars with roller cams sound like a sewing machine when done. Mine did not, but I was pretty anal about the geometry set-up and ended up getting custom length push rods from full throttle.

Chuck

I can try. That sewing machine sound originally was present, super faint-it is MUCH louder now, almost with a tap sound. I was trying to post over in the MAGNA section, but the site seems to not like me. Tried 3 times, was hoping someone local that has an ear to many rollers could listen if I stopped over. Runs REAL good now with the spring on there. If I am told its ok...it stays as is, but its so noticible my gut tells me something needs to be done. As much as I would hate to pull the springs, but if something needs to be changed then so be it.

I will try to get some clips cold idle & raised rpm, then hot idle & raised rpm.

yes the other board has issues, with posting, connecting, avatars ..... but I like the members over there also, as I do the members here.

Chuck