Level 10 Transmissions

olds6887442

What's the deal? Is anyone using a 200R4 from Pat Barret? Or os like old school now and there is much better stuff? I was referring all the Oldsmobile 442 "G" body guys to him

OK, but---

His rebuilds are good quality, does somethings better left stock, but he does not use billet parts so a L10 trannie is just as subject to break as stock.

They did my trans a year or two ago. Works great, but haven't really been too hard on it yet. It shifts REALLY hard on the 1-2. I did have a few issues, though:

1) They put a Mopar dipstick in it. Pat himself told me that my original dipstick was wrong and that the yellow MOPAR dipstick was correct. Um, okay. I believed him (thought maybe they did something that affected the capacity of the trans). I over filled it by many, many quarts soon after and he admitted I had the wrong dipstick. He sent me the right one, but it was beat up (unlike my original).

2) I paid him for a 9" billet converter. I got a 10.5" billet converter at a premium over what the original manufacturer would have charged me (he gets them from ProTorque).

3) They pushed my car around by the LH mirror and cracked the paint on the door. He offered up free trans services to appease me, but I had just paid him $2k for a trans so I hoped I wouldn't need anymore trans services.

4) He missed the fact that my 3rd gear switch was bad. I had to replace it myself.

Like I said, the trans itself works fine. Shifts firm, feels tight. I've run about 10 mid-12 second passes on it. Hope to run a bit quicker next season. We'll see how it holds up.

Jim

I have a Level 10 in my 87 GN now (i bought it like this) and it works fairly good nice firm shifts :) it was installed a few years ago and i know i put a few miles on it so did the previous owner .. just recently under WOT the 2-3 shift is starting to flare:( so i guess it will be time for a good rebuild soon :D

Level 10 sucks. Less than 1500 miles on this so called racing trans. What a POS. Slips in 1,2 and 3. Was a 10.70's ride. Bad customer service issues that I want get into.

Me (and a local friend) have used them for many years and had good luck (knock on wood!) but they are very expensive.

I've found his customer service good, but I've heard the stories from other people. A few times he's talked me out of stuff that would put money in his pocket...

Mike [:)

Eric Shertz is the man to see (DYNOTECH)-i had two level 10 s done and a eric shertz trans and i like the feel of erics trans and at a better price-reasonable for the workmanship and i dont have to feel ripped off like the level 10 s did.

I have purchased a trans. from Eric to replace the POS Level 10. I will be sending the Level 10 trans. that is killed to Eric to fix right.

Mine had a couple of years of 11 second passes with no problems. Still working other than the Art Carr snapped a fin. I am going to have it freshened and contacted CK to see what kind of work they can do for me. I will post my results.

Originally posted by 49-blues
Eric Shertz is the man to see (DYNOTECH)-i had two level 10 s done and a eric shertz trans and i like the feel of erics trans and at a better price-reasonable for the workmanship and i dont have to feel ripped off like the level 10 s did.
Amen to that. I've got one of his trans's in my street can and Rich Rezes has one in his 10.7 car. LOTS of runs on his trans and zero problems. All I can say is why go anywhere else? Very nice guy and builds transmissions for many of the local places. I have not heard a bad thing about Eric. He bought out Fred Vetter to bring some decency to DynoTech. Nice as he's now in NJ so we no longer have to brave the Belt to get to Long Island..... :)

I second Arties post. Eric is the guy, quality work, good guy, never a problem.

As far as Level 10 goes I have never had a trans done by them but have heard from buddies and other more bad than good. Just hope Jim Testa doesn't chime in here, sure he'll have a word or two to say......lol.

Originally posted by Buicksx2
I second Arties post. Eric is the guy, quality work, good guy, never a problem.

As far as Level 10 goes I have never had a trans done by them but have heard from buddies and other more bad than good. Just hope Jim Testa doesn't chime in here, sure he'll have a word or two to say......lol.
Jim usually does, just hope we can understand his confusing explanations....:eek:

TurboDiverArt

Whereabouts in Edison are you? I'm moving back next year, I'll be in North Edison over by JP Stevens HS

Originally posted by olds6887442
TurboDiverArt

Whereabouts in Edison are you? I'm moving back next year, I'll be in North Edison over by JP Stevens HS
Cool, also in North Edison, in Stevenville area by the bottom of Stevenville.

We'll have to meet up, let me know when you move back. Did you grow up here?