Let's talk about garage lifts!

Grimster

Grumpy Redneck
I did a quick search and didn't see anything already so figured I'd start a new thread.

I'm building a garage very soon now and want to put a 2 post and possibly 1 or 2 4 post lifts in it, I'm looking at the harbor freight lifts:

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I'm also looking on ebay and seeing some mighty attractively priced lifts.

Anyone got any experience, warnings, recommendations? Do you have a lift? If so where'd ya get it and how do you like it, etc?

I have a Challenger 9k lb. lift.I bought it through Advance Auto 3 or 4 years ago.I paid $3k, I'm happy with it.My first choice was a Rotary but I couldn't find a Rotary in the height I needed.I know a few people who recently bought lifts from some place in Texas and paid $1800-$2k.I'm not sure of the name of the place. :confused: Keep looking online you should find something.

newpics021Medium.jpg

newpics133Medium.jpg

I have a "Forward"4 post lift .. worked great for what I wanted .. You should also try company's in your area that sell and install lifts. thats what I did .. there prices may surprise you :cool:

Attachments

• lift1.JPG
    lift1.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 328
I have an extended 12,000lb Bend Pak 4 post lift in my shop that I bought about 6 years ago. Works great and haven't had any problems with it. :)

I have an Eagle XL 4 post that I bought new for $3k that is awesome. I also have 2 Bend-Pak 4 poster's and 3 other off-brand 4 poster's. Honestly I haven't had a single issue with any of them. I really depends on your price point and your needs.

My advice would be that you should buy a lift that has EVERYTHING you want now, or think you might want in the future. DO NOT short change yourself to save a few bucks. $.02

I have been seriously thinking about a lift also. I would love a 2 post, but I think I will end up with a 4 post for 3 reasons. #1 I can hear the wife bitching about opening the door of the vette into the post or not having room to open the door to get out, #2 a 4 post you can get drip pans so nothing drips on the car below, & #3 the 4 post can get rolled outside because I enjoy working outside in the evenings.

Hmm it never even occurred to me that Advance or other parts stores would sell lifts! I'll definitely be checking out any and all local options, I don't want to "underspend" on a lift but I also can't afford to overspend either!

...#3 the 4 post can get rolled outside because I enjoy working outside in the evenings.

This is exactly why I bought rollers for my Eagle lift. I can roll it right out the door and work outside. I mostly do that when pressure washing the undercarriage of something.

My friend just got a 4 post delivered in peices to the door for $1900 Canadian & it rolls as well. Took 3 of us about 3 hours to install & him another few hours to fine tune it all. Under $2K is a good deal IMO.

I have a "Forward"4 post lift .. worked great for what I wanted .. You should also try company's in your area that sell and install lifts. thats what I did .. there prices may surprise you :cool:

+1 Just bought a new Rotary a-symetrical 10k 2 post and Rotary 14000k open front 4 post delivered and installed for 10k done:biggrin:

check Evil Bay

they have the same brand names avail, sometimes much less!
some are chinese, some are american made, I have friends with both, and no one has had a problem,
I'll probably buy bendpak, as they are avail with free shipping.

I did a quick search and didn't see anything already so figured I'd start a new thread.

I'm building a garage very soon now and want to put a 2 post and possibly 1 or 2 4 post lifts in it, I'm looking at the harbor freight lifts:

I'm also looking on ebay and seeing some mighty attractively priced lifts.

Anyone got any experience, warnings, recommendations? Do you have a lift? If so where'd ya get it and how do you like it, etc?

Check Craigslist as there are some good deals there. Also Putting them up is not a big deal and not really worth paying someone to do. 2 people can lift the posts up with a little bit of effort. I have a Rotary 9k pound lift I got for I think $600 but it is a floor plate model so it kind of sucks but will be replaced and moved outside when the next good deal comes along.

Just installed used Challenger lift from a closed business,works great.Seems heavier built than a lot of other lifts I looked at before buyingI also found this on craigs list.Anyone in central NC can get one from same guy for $1800 or 2000 installed.HE had several at one time.

jus

this is a good thread ill be in the market for a lift once i purchase a house i personally would get a 2 post since ill be doing most of the work at home

I don't think I would work under a HF lift.

Yeah my thoughts too but they are labeled as bend pak which seems to be about the most popular brand and I see them mentioned all over. For $3700 they're definitely not the cheapest I've found either.

Hopefully the bulldozer dude will show up Monday and get my spot ready for the garage so I can get this ball rolling!

I was asking this of a friend of mine who runs a car repair shop. He said a 9K pound 12 ft tall 2 post Rotary for $2700 installed is the lift to get.

My friend just got a 4 post delivered in peices to the door for $1900 Canadian & it rolls as well. Took 3 of us about 3 hours to install & him another few hours to fine tune it all. Under $2K is a good deal IMO.

I'm the guy. It's a ProPark lift. My back loves it. ;)
A shout out to David And Ray for all the help.

Paul