Less expensive Guages?

SS/GNX

Formerly NothinYet
Anybody know of any good ACCURAte guage company other than AUTOMETER.

Those damn things cost a FORTUNE!

dont mean to be an A$$, but you usually pay for what you get... why chance the life of your engine on some off brand cheap crap.... buy once and be done.... just save and buy as you can afford... thats how i have to get all my stuff too.... my money tree mustve been hit with a 10 year drought:eek: :D

Autometer has different lines of gauges. The Autogauge line is there cheapest line of gauges and what I buy and have good luck with.

Always been to scared to ask, finally someone did;) So autoguage is good huh? That's allright, like the classic black anyways, and nobody ooohs and awwws over them-sneaky!

Autoguage is made by autometer?

I have a few of these guages in the Monte - oil press, volts, and temp.

If they are good, I wonder if they make a boost, A/F, and fuel press.

Anybody make a fuel press guage you CAN put in the car?

yeah , autometer makes some ,but they aint for shallow pokets, $185 for 0-100 electric sender and gauge style or if you go mechanical youll need the mechanical 0-100 gauge and the isolator which then makes the mechanical setup almost as much as the electric
check summitracing.com for available gauges

the autogauge are fine but as for accuracy they arent as good on tolerences (accuracy) as the autometer line , but on a budget they will suffice

when it comes to gauges if you cant trust them to be accurate they are useless , i run the autometer sportcomps which are the cheapest of the autometer line , i have vdo cockpits in my other car as a GNX gauge cluster which are about the cheapest gauge from vdo but the accuracy and ability to read values with the indicator graduations , limited needle travel and narrower range make them ok but not any way near as reliable as the autometers

Ashcroft has a new line of automotive gauges out, but you have to call them.
Look to be very nice and knowing Ashcroft, they should be good.

John

Autogauge is a line of Autometer. I bought a used oil pressure mechanical and it's been in 3 different cars, works fine still. Have Autometer Autogauge mecanical temp gauge no problems with it either, its about 5 years old. I ordered for my 87 T Autogauge mechanical oil and temp, couldn't find a boost gauge that went to 30 psi so I got a VDO.

you can usually find VDO ones cheap. I run carbon fiber autogauge in the GN and VDO vision series with the illuminated needles in the Typhoon (the bastard step child). The cost breakdown ends up being the VDOs are about 2/3 the price of the Autogauge, and I trust them just as much, seeings how some European cars come factory with them, namely porsche audi and VW.

"NothinYet", I have a nice VDO 2 1/16" dia. oil pressure gauge for sale...You just need to get another matching one (water temp. maybe...) and mount them in a nice pod on your console...Let me know if interested...

Claude :cool:

I have VDO in the 86 GN, but I used Faze in the 85 Regal GN clone for budget reasons. I installed four of them b/c the Limited doesn't have anything but dummy lights. They seem to work fine to me. I used Autometer in all of my other applications including Sportcomp and Cobalt series. Like was said before, you get what you pay for.

I have VDO in the 86 GN, but I used Faze in the 85 Regal GN clone for budget reasons. I installed four of them b/c the Limited doesn't have anything but dummy lights. They seem to work fine to me. I used Autometer in all of my other applications including Sportcomp and Cobalt series. Like was said before, you get what you pay for.

How did you like the Cobalt gauges? Were they too bright or anything? I've been looking at doing a GNX style dash with those...seems like it'd be pretty interesting...

For a boost guage, do you guys recommend Electric or mechanical?

I guess I am still going to go Autometer, but I am going to have to go with something on there cheaper side. I have the Phatom guages and was pricing those... too expensive. I will just get something plain.

For a boost guage, do you guys recommend Electric or mechanical?

I guess I am still going to go Autometer, but I am going to have to go with something on there cheaper side. I have the Phatom guages and was pricing those... too expensive. I will just get something plain.

Boost guages are only mechanical.

I went mechanical just because I like mechanical gauges. One less thing to worry about I suppose. :)

Not true my brother, they have the electric ones in Summit. ATM-5777 is the autometer part number. Cost is $190.00!

Thats why I need to know if mechanical is good. Cause its MUCH cheaper.

I bought the Stewart Warner boost gauge, was like $49 from Summit. Just recieved the boost gage and my oil pressure and water temp gauges(Autometer Autogage). All are 2 1/16" mechanical and the price was around $90.