Left turn signal flashes slow

Dan K

I got the car out the other day for the first time this year and noticed something on the dash that I didn't remember when I put it away last year...the left turn signal indicator was just staying lit.
If I turned the turn signal on the bulbs would just stay lit and not flash.
So I replaced the front marker light, the front signal in the bumper, and both bulbs in the rear. Thought the new bulbs would do it as I had a bad one somewhere.
No dice.
The indicator on the dash is still lit, but the signal actually blinks every 5 seconds or so.

Right side works fine, always did.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a ground problem. Did you have any work done while it was sitting? Maybe rust?

Try replacing the turn signal flasher. It is located along the steering column between the steering column and the radio. Don't make the mistake of replacing the flasher on the fuse block, as that flasher controls the hazard warning lights

gofstbuick - after reading through some old posts I see that you seem to have a handle on the flasher problem...:)
I'll check the zone tomorrow and see if I can get one.
Getting my fat hand up under the dash to replace it might be a challenge though.

Originally posted by Dan K
Getting my fat hand up under the dash to replace it might be a challenge though.

thats what your girlfriend or if married (with children) kids are for. Make your kids earn their keep.:D

It was suprisingly easy to get to. I think someone had already replaced it and couldn't get it back up into the clip...so it was just tucked up under the dash.
Only thing is I haven't gotten a replacement yet.
Is the one for the hazards (in the fuse panel?) the same?
Could I just swap the 2 of them and see if that changes anything?

I figured I'd go swap the 2 flashers and wadda know...the turn signals now work. :)

That was easy.

Thought I'd finish this thread off with what I had to do to fix my problem.
Replacing all the bulbs didn't do anything.
Swapping the hazard and turn signal flashers got the left signal blinking again, but it still wasn't quite right. I noticed that the front signals were blinking at the same time.
After playing with the wiring on the front turn signal in the bumper I could see the light would change intensity, so I replaced the bulb socket and now we're good to go.
Everything blinks as it should, and the turn signal indicators only come on inside the car when they're supposed to. ;)