Learning about my GN

Johnnie

Gonna have my '87 GN worked on today by a Buick mech at my friend's Buick dealer. My pilot buddy , who used to be a service rep there, tells me he is the go-to guy as he has worked on them for a long time and my friend Ron trusts him
. Gonna put the Sc&c front triangular brace on as well as a few other things like finding out what injectors are in it, changing the oil ( 5w30 synthetic and zinc additive) and filter , inspecting all the suspension bushings -- in general giving the car a "physical" of sorts -- and me an "education " about my car.

I did have new rubber (BFG Radial t/a's -- white letters out aka old school look) put on at tire discounters last week and at the same time put on a set of kyb "gas adjust shocks , which I like, by the way.
Anyway, I am curious to see any difference in handling this brace offers. For those that are interested, I will keep you posted.
Once again, I am looking forward to meeting any fellow TB enthusiasts in the Cincinnati area and thank you for this site.
As a side note, I would like to know how to support this site. The airplane site I belong to I support with a small yearly donation. Same is true here?
Johnnie

Welcome to the world of 3.8 SFI Turbo.

You may want to read this article on "Spring Cleaning." It will help you get hands-on yourself with making sure the car is road ready. It will good for you to have the car looked at by someone in the know. There are so many intricacies about these cars to get to know.

Update: Well, phase one of my update to my '87 GN completed. New tires, new kyb shocks, front end alignment, fresh synth oil, new recommended oil filter, and new fuel filter all installed. Shocks and tires made a noticeable difference. But on the ride over to the shop I noticed a wandering of sorts in the steering , especially over 55mph. I just chalked it up to late 80's American car technology. BUT, with that new SC&C triangular front brace now installed the steering is a lot more precise --- and no wander even at 80mph. A success, in my opinion. Now, it's no "corner carver" like my little RedHeaded wife's new Subaru Forester, but it's much better than I expected. And I plan on installing some additional bracing come springtime and that should help out a little more.
Also found out that my injectors are OEM ( 24 pounders, I believe he said), so a new turbo tweak chip is in the offing. ( please don't laugh as you remember I am a "newbie" but I am a little hesitant on taking the present chip out. I don't want to break anything so I can't send a pic, yet) . I am assuming the present chip is OEM as well. But that being said, it wouldn't hurt to replace it with an updated version even though the car hauls a**.

Interesting observation driving this thing around. I must have had a dozen "nimnals" or goof balls or whatever you want to call them, either run up behind me and dead-rev their engines to a billion RPM or come up alongside at a stoplight and want to bust 'em off. Everything from GT mustangs to high school hot rods. Go figure. ( last thing I need is a reckless op charge! ) One guy in a new 'vette gave me a double thumbs up. This thing gets more attention than my big block '66 chevelle SS ragtop ever did. Not that I crave attention, but it's cool as he11 ! Oh...... Life is good...
Johnnie

Now if I can just get the stock air canister apart to change the air filter. Doesn't want to budge...and I don't want to break anything.

And thank you "quick 6" for the link.

These cars still command respect on the street. Any car guy is going to know what you have and the ones who don't who rev their little engines at you will be in for a surprise if you so desire. :) I get the same thing. Everyone under the sun wants to tailgate me or do the "matching speed" game in the next lane. You've got to pick your times to have fun. I haven't had a ticket in a decade and would like to keep it that way. I do get lucky a lot.

I get way more attention than when I am driving the Cobra. Way more.

Last edited:
Ain't it awesome !? When Lil'Red is with me in it she asks in an inquisitive voice..." Why are they staring at us? " Of course I have to say " 'Cause you're gorgeous, that's why!" Yupp....... Redheads and turbo buicks....... Ain't no better mix...

Ain't it awesome !? When Lil'Red is with me in it she asks in an inquisitive voice..." Why are they staring at us? " Of course I have to say " 'Cause you're gorgeous, that's why!" Yupp....... Redheads and turbo buicks....... Ain't no better mix...

Hey,

Cincinnati guy here as well. I'd be interested in getting together sometime. Maybe cars n coffee down on rt. 50 one Saturday?

Hey,

Cincinnati guy here as well. I'd be interested in getting together sometime. Maybe cars n coffee down on rt. 50 one Saturday?
Hey, I'm definitely up for that one! But I work every other weekend. I'm working this coming one.