Leaky 50# injectors

JoelGN

Anyone else have problems with 50# high z injectors leaking? I'm thinking about replacing mine, FOUR of them leak, but don't want to get more of the same.

Now that is unusual. I doubt you'll find very many complaining of the MSD 50's (if that's what you have) leaking down.

Did you pull then, and get them flowed? Or, is your diagnosis based on wet plugs?

Perhaps you have a bad injector harness?

I've flow tested lots of them, and have found very few leakers.. Most are due to $hit in the system, not a problem w/ the inj operation.

Did you pull then, and get them flowed? Or, is your diagnosis based on wet plugs?

Perhaps you have a bad injector harness?
I noticed the oil smelling like fuel right after they were installed. Removed the dog house and shoved paper towels into the runners and one became damp with fuel. Some of the others smelled like fuel but weren't damp. Replaced that one. Last weekend, after having to change the oil every 50 miles and the rod/main bearings once, shoved styrofoam into the runners and under the vacuum pod (to test the regulator for leakage). This is while the injector harness was disconnected (although its new and tested not to be faulty). Pressured up the rail and waited. The next morning four of the six sticks of styrofoam were eaten away (no.s 1, 5, 2, and 6). The no. 1 had already been replaced. That makes 5 of 7 leakers. The last fuel filter came from a Chevy dealership, however, had "Made in China" stamped on it.:mad: Could it be a filter problem? Changed it to a Wix last night. I'll order some more injectors and scrub the fuel tank. Thanks for your insight.

Were these purchased new?
The fuel filter would have nothing to do w/ the leaks...
Car been sitting for an extended period of time?
Tank been down for a look?
Perhaps cut the fuel filter open, and see if it's full of rust.
Unless some $hit is caught in the inj body, and holding them open, 150# of Fp would not make them leak.
If you want, take the inj you took out, and take a sheetmetal screw, and carefully screw it into the inlet. [Filter basket]. Work the basket out, and tell us what you see.
If you have a plug inspection light, or some kind of lighted mag glass, look in the baskets, and see if they are full of crap.....

If you want to use them, I can clean and flow test...

Were these purchased new?
The fuel filter would have nothing to do w/ the leaks...
Car been sitting for an extended period of time?
Tank been down for a look?
Perhaps cut the fuel filter open, and see if it's full of rust.
Unless some $hit is caught in the inj body, and holding them open, 150# of Fp would not make them leak.
If you want, take the inj you took out, and take a sheetmetal screw, and carefully screw it into the inlet. [Filter basket]. Work the basket out, and tell us what you see.
If you have a plug inspection light, or some kind of lighted mag glass, look in the baskets, and see if they are full of crap.....

If you want to use them, I can clean and flow test...
The car is driven 5-7 miles/week just to avoid problems such is this, seals, flat spots on tires, etc. The tank was last looked at just before installing the 50's. No debris or problems noted. That's also when the Chinese AC Delco filter was installed. I'll just send them to you or someone you recomment to examine once the new ones are installed. Thanks

Did you buy them new?????????
I frequently get used injs, that have been abused, used, left out on the bench, thrown in a toolbox... MANY times they work exactly like yours are doing.
Call me if you want them cleaned...

Did you buy them new?????????
I frequently get used injs, that have been abused, used, left out on the bench, thrown in a toolbox... MANY times they work exactly like yours are doing.
Call me if you want them cleaned...

The injectors were bought new and installed upon receipt. I just cut the old filter open and it looks new on the in-flow side. I have noticed that the fuel pressure stays up for a long time. The rail will still have 5-10 psi the next day. It seems that the only pressure relief is SLOWLY through the injectors. Could I have a fuel pump (XP) check valve issue?