Leaking Oil - Engine Girdle

AR GN

Well I tried to do a search on this, but the search feature did not want to cooperate.

What I have is an engine that leaks oil. I assume it is b/c of the engine girdle (previous owner already warned me). It seems to be leaking mostly in the front of the engine around the oil pan. It isn't leaking terribly, but it is leaking pretty bad - and seems to be getting worse. The engine has less than 1500 miles on it. I have to add ~ 1/2 - 1 quart b/t times I fill up with gas. Plus the oil is dripping onto the exhaust and, of course, smoking.

What is the best way to rectify this problem? I really do not want to have to pull the engine if at all possible. But it HAS to be corrected.

Thanks again everyone

Are you absolutely certain it is leaking where you think it is leaking first of all.

The leak you think you have is it from between the pan and the gidle?

Mad_Trbo said:
Are you absolutely certain it is leaking where you think it is leaking first of all.

The leak you think you have is it from between the pan and the gidle?

I am not 100% absolutely sure where it is coming from. It appears to (at least) be leaking under the oil filter where the pan is bolted to the block/girdle. The previous owner mentioned to me that engines with the girdle are prone to leaking...so, I was assuming that was the issue.

Thanks

I have a Loveridge girdle and have no problems with it. Check your oil pressure sending unit. It's right above the oil filter (stock location). Mine was leaking and smoked (from oil on the headers) all the way back from Houston. :mad:
A word of caution, I got a replacement at O'Reilly's. It worked great for about 2 weeks, then the oil light started coming on at idle. Mechanical oil pressure gauge showed good oil pressure (24lbs at hot idle). Replaced sending unit and no more oil light.
Sure hope this is your problem.

Also carefully inspect the timing cover as they can leak and blow back onto the pan.

Thanks for the replies. The oil pressure sending unit is near the oil filter (I believe it is threaded into the same "housing" as the oil filter), but I am pretty sure it is not the culprit. I had a 350 that leaked out of the timing chain cover. I guess I just assumed the girdle was the issue (since the previous owner eluded to this), but I need to find the exact place where it is leaking.

However, IF the girdle is causing the leak, is there an easy way to fix that?

AR GN said:
However, IF the girdle is causing the leak, is there an easy way to fix that?

There is one "easy" way to fix the problem & it will be your only choice unless you want to pull the girdle off the engine and re-seal it. Anyway, clean off the outside of the two mating surfaces and apply RTV over it. Let it dry over night before running the engine so it can dry completely.

Turbo1dr said:
There is one "easy" way to fix the problem & it will be your only choice unless you want to pull the girdle off the engine and re-seal it. Anyway, clean off the outside of the two mating surfaces and apply RTV over it. Let it dry over night before running the engine so it can dry completely.

Yes you could do that, but I think if you are leaking at the girdle.

Can't you re-seal the girdle from beneath the car, without pulling the motor?

Some make the mistake of installing the girdle first, then trying to slide the timing cover into place. Almost impossible to get a good seal that way. The timing cover should be installed, then the girdle. Of course: everything has to be perfectly clean for any type of(properly applied) sealant to be effective. Then there's the extra sealing surface that's involved(girdle to block/girdle to pan).

my girdle is leaking between the block and girdle in the back of the motor and yes ive check the valve covers rear main all of those spot 99% sure its the girdle

CHANCE said:
my girdle is leaking between the block and girdle in the back of the motor and yes ive check the valve covers rear main all of those spot 99% sure its the girdle

If you can get to it, clean that area VERY good, apply RTV and let dry over night before starting the engine. That's the only way to do it the cheapest redneck-ghetto way without pulling the engine and removing it. You can pull the girdle while the engine is still in the car but I don't think you'll want to attempt that. :eek:

You might also want to check the oil return line from the turbo into the block- you can leak oil from here and it would look like a front oil seal.

leak

I found that if the block is not sealed correctly it will leak right down the studs following the threads. You may not see a leak between the rail of the girdle . I have seen this problem several times and the special washers do not fix the leak now comming from between the pan and spreader .Been lucky with a good neopreen gasket and squirting gms or good sealer around base of stud before replacing nut .

You can fix minor leaks with the girdle. First drain the oil out of the pan. Next clean with carb or brake cleaner. The carb cleaner will leave a little residue. Then clean the area with 409 or another water soluble cleaner. Blow off the area with air after both cleanings. Then apply “The right stuff” silicon sealer to the area. Let it dry thoroughly before you fill the crank with oil and this should solve most of the problems. The front 3 studs and the back two studs can be removed (because they do not have an inner nut that holds the girdle on only the pan nut) cleaned and silicon applied in these areas to seal them as well.

The guy with the girdle leaking at the rear should be an easy fix. Allot of times there is an oil leak the girdle is blamed. And most of the time it is either the front cover leaking or a valve cover.

Hope this helps, “the right stuff” is some killer silicon!

I hope thats true ive check everything the back of my heads are clean the rear main is spotless and if you look around the oil pan its only got oil on the back of it also my machinest used right stuff between the block and girdle and girdle and pan

CHANCE said:
I hope thats true ive check everything the back of my heads are clean the rear main is spotless and if you look around the oil pan its only got oil on the back of it also my machinest used right stuff between the block and girdle and girdle and pan
Make sure the back corners of your intake are not leaking. Pull the coil pack and get in there with a mirror and check really good. When this happens, sometimes its so slight, and will run down the back of the head gaskets making it hard to see were its coming from.

As far as the rite stuff sealant, The best out there for sealing the oil pan/girdle. All parts must be cleaned.

if you cant find the "right stuff"
the Ford powerstroke diesel silcone has to be some of the most powerful stuff i have ever used,
and it comes in a chaulking gun style tube.

nope never got it fixed but i did check it with UV dye and its the girdle