Late lockup at WOT with PTS Xtreme

RobR

formerly TTA 1387
I went to the track yesterday and noticed a problem when I would lock up the converter in 3rd gear. It would delay probably 1 second after trying to lock up.

What would cause that? Could the converter be slipping?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

im gonna guess just for the heck of it that you have a restriction in the drain for the converter.

mine had a little delay but plan to open up the drains once Bruce gives me the scoop on what all to do..:D

There will be a tiny delay as the fluid has to escape or exhaust.
1 second is a little long , but it is not a flick slam thing.

Thanks for the responses. Here's another question about the lock up. When locking the converter in 3rd gear, the rpm drop is a lot. Went from 4950 to 4525 after locking.

Does this seem like a big drop? My old D5 would only drop 300 or so when locked.

Also when locked at the line and shifting at 5200, the rpm drop is to 3600-3800 depending on gear. That would seem to be a big drop off to me also.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get a feel for this new converter.

Thanks,

What it is telling you is there is more slip in the new converter which is 100% true and also as to why you have stall. The d5's usually had a little more than 300 but that is about right. It is telling you that you have 450 rpm slip vs the d5's 300. Hell for a stall converter that is excellent!!!