'L' shaped water pump bypass hose...

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
These bypass hoses will fit dead on, (and don't cost much), on any one of the 3.8/4.1 engines up to 1983 that is using a 4.1 intake or thermostat housing:

Dayco #70001

Advance Auto Parts: Curved Radiator Hose by Drive-Rite - Part A70001___

Hose (Bypass) | 1982 Buick Regal 6 Cylinders 4 4.1L 4BL OHV | AutoZone.com

Gates #20338:

Amazon.com: Gates 20338 Molded Coolant Hose: Automotive

More Information for GATES 20338

They may not work on the earlier 78-81 intakes because the OEM thermostat housing is differant. The trick is the thermostat housing. If you find one of the 4.1 housings you really don't need the intake to make the 'L' hose fit. They will also work on the Edelbrock intake albeit w/ the 4.1 housing. :biggrin:

I just plug it myself Freddie. It adds some heat to the engine after all and I've never had an issue.

Yeah I've read alot of guys do that too. I stay away from that because I've always been warned that heat is the enemy. Here in Florida running with A/C is a nessessity and the more the little V6 gets cooling the better.

If the bypass is plugged then would'nt the thermostat be more dangerous if it jammed up? (In that case forget using a thermostat).

Never had a poblem with it Freddie. After all, look at the Chevy small block ect. All it really does is help warm a cold engine up.

I plug it because it allows full control of the cooling system.

why? because the purpose of that bypass is to have fluid that is constantly circulating. this reduces the control of the thermostat. and is mostly meant for the heater.

I add 2 or 3 3/32" holes in the Tstat to prevent a burndown in the advent of a stuck Tstat.

A.j.

P.S. Freddie, have you seen anything in the mail? bearings should be there by now...