Kudos to Steve at SMC!!

nixnix

I had a problem with my kit, it somehow how got contaminated with a rusty substance and gummed up everything in the bottle. So I called Steve to explain what had happened, he told me to send everything in and he would clean the pump and install it in a new bottle.

I picked up the package he sent back and not only did he give me a new bottle, he gave me a completely new kit with the upgraded wiring.
This is some of the best service I have received for a product I returned for repairs. Steve was also very helpful on the phone giving me great advice about the kit.

If you haven't tried this kit you should, it works very well and the service you receive will be exceptional!

Thanks again Steve.

Nick Gargano

I hear you, I don't know if steve is too busy or what, but he tends to let "mistakes" (in your favor) slip out the door without a charge. I contacted him 2 or 3 times after he sent me some parts to upgrade my kit and didn't charge me for the parts. I think it was $20-25 and he said fugetaboutit.

ttt

The kit works better than the one I had before.

With the new connectors it reacts faster when I press the test button.

Good comment(s). I think it's cool when someone "steps up" to probs rather than ignoring weak areas/parts. I guess that's the main reason I appreciate Julio's Alkycontrol system...no contaminants, no necessary upgrades, wiring mods, pump failures or...returns/downtime. ;)

Julio's kit came out about 2 or 3 years after the SMC kit. I've had my kit for probably close to 4 years and it was only down for about 2 days because steve had me up and running in no time. I'd say 2 days in 4 years is pretty acceptable.

Four years is right about where your pump seals will start to be questionable with methanol in the Shurflo pump.

I'd keep an eye out for that as well.

Different kits different failure modes.

If it's electro-mechanical it can fail.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Four years is right about where your pump seals will start to be questionable with methanol in the Shurflo pump.

Please elaborate?? Is this dog years or??? If it was going to have a problem?? Why not 2 years? Or 10 years? Climate change your research? Have you had 100 pumps to look at? Your statement is flawed.. hope you see the ER of your ways.

My distributor sells 3500-4000 of this specific model pump every year. For different applications. Over the last 6 years they've only had a handful come back. Shurflo rates the motor assembly at 1500 hrs.

I have not had one pump fail that I have sold. But what do I know? Maybe after 4 years it would be good to tear apart the diaphram and rebuild it? Nah.. just replace the pump?? But why if its working properly? Then do as I do.. nothing

;)

Actually the failure reported was 3 years.

Methanol is highly corrosive. :(

My statement was fact and common sense opinion, keep an eye on your pump using methanol, test any alky. system before needing it. :)

Common sense also like keeping sales info. and cheap shots out of someone else's thread. :rolleyes:

Dog years? 2 years or 10 years that was funny.... NOT.

Only application I've seen it listed for is RV water pump use.

I dont run meth, just denatured. In street trim with 23* of timing and 24 lbs of boost I rarely see any knock, and there isn't much on the road down here that can hang with it.

Originally posted by salvageV6

Common sense also like keeping sales info. and cheap shots out of someone else's thread. :rolleyes:

How have I taken a cheap shot? Come on.. I stayed out until your mis-information surfaced.

Wait my valve stem may crack.. I should change valve stems every 2 years since theyre made out of rubber. You know how corrossive salt water is in Florida
:rolleyes:

There was a valve stem reported cracked after 1 1/2 years :rolleyes: I'm going to start checking those :D , along with wiper blades..

I only run denatured too, works well for me. :)

Razor I wasn't talking about you. Feeling guilty perhaps? :D

Do a search on this forum for the information, it's still there. ;)

Must be part of this Utopia we have created with a Vendor Driven Board.

:cool:

Ed, you must have one of those kits that had the push in 4 prong connectors. That came out way before the RCA type jacks on the round bottle.

I bought my SMC kit in Sept 01. It had the RCA connectors on the round bottle no pressure guage or switch. I too ran denatured. I used it until March '03. In April of last year I went to what i'm using. So 17 months on 2.50 a gallon methanol.

I see salvageV6 has already upgraded to the square bottle. Looks much better in his engine compartment than the painted black bottle. And you have no choice on the denatured.. its what you must run ;) Nice door hinge BTW :rolleyes:

Steve upgraded to the new pump and bottle and pressure gauge for a very reasonable price so I went with it.

I kept the round bottle and put in a GSS242 KenneBell pump in it.

Pump was pumping gas for 12 years or so now it's got alky. duty.

That's bottle's still on the car on the right side of the engine bay near the stock air filter area, fits well and makes a nice third stage DIY.

No new pics. however.

I like the looks and fit of the round bottles better. :)

Got a gallon now without a large container that wouldn't fit in my car. :cool:

I doubt I would run methanol if switching to the Shurflo, highly corrosive and I would want to run some lube with it. Not sure if that's possible with that pump.

Door hinge fits perfectly.

:p