Knocking Ticking Front Engine Noise

MRP78

I'm trying to get rid of a knocking noise or at least figure out the culprit. It seems to be coming from the front of the engine. It seems to happen mostly on a warm engine and is consistent. It is audible at idle. If you rev a little it gets slightly louder go a little higher and it can't be heard. I've replaced the cam sensor, but it still makes the noise. I've taken the belt off and it still does it warm. I've re-gapped the crank sensor. I've listened all over with a long screwdriver but can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. It is louder at the front of the engine versus the back and seems to be louder from the top of the engine than the bottom but can be heard in both places. It also sounds louder on the passenger side near the turbo versus the driver side. The oil pressure is almost 50 on cold startup then settles to between 25 and 50 while driving but is closer to 25. It's probably around 30. At warm idle it is half-way between 0 and 25 maybe 12. I'm not sure what to do next.

Have a friend that had a similar issue. Sounded like a lifter not pumping up. He put a bottle of Lucas in and it immediately went away and haven't heard a peep since. May or may not be your issue but sounds exactly like his situation.

Have a friend that had a similar issue. Sounded like a lifter not pumping up. He put a bottle of Lucas in and it immediately went away and haven't heard a peep since. May or may not be your issue but sounds exactly like his situation.

Do you remember which Lucas product he used?

Another thing to check is the turbo flange gasket, get a good flashlight and check all around it for evidence of a leak. Mine was blown out and i was almost certain it was an engine noise based on the sound. I also use the lucas "heavy duty oil stabilizer" in my car, quieted down the valvetrain clatter and raised my hot oil pressure a couple psi. I only use a little (instructions say use a whole bottle, i only use like a quarter).

Here are a couple of videos of the noise. The 1st is with the belt on 2nd is with the belt off. I removed the valve covers everything looked good, no metal or shavings and all valves moved the same running with the cover off.

Almost sounds like an exhaust leak possibly. I almost thought it might have been a plug wire arcing...but don't think that's it...weird...

The sound that your car was making with the belt off sounds very similar to the sound my car has made since I bought it in 2000. My engine is currently all stock except for timing chain and valve springs. Note that neither of these affected the noise when I installed them.

My sound only occurs when the engine is warm and running at low speed (idle or a little higher). My best guess is either a weak lifter that bleeds down too much during lift or a small exhaust leak. I've spent hours chasing it, but I've never been able to find it.

If you ever figure it out, please post back.

My betting money is on pulling the timing cover, I hear 2 different noises, 1 is deffinately a worn/weak/broken camshaft thrust bumper/spring.
The 2nd noise might very well be a worn out timing chain tensioner or timing chain/gear assembly.
Good luck,

Kevin.

The sound is still there when you let off the throttle, so probably rule out an exhaust leak. You can take a 2' length of 5/8" heater hose and pass it around the headers and put your ear to the other end. If they are leaking, you will hear it loud and clear. Could be the cam bumper or tensioner if it has a stock type chain. Try using an automotive stethoscope to pin point it before you start pulling it apart.

It's likely not exhaust related. It is definitely coming from the front of the engine. I replaced the cam sensor with a new one. The old one was perfectly good. There is little to no play in either sensor.

It still has the original timing chain. I'm not familiar with the camshaft bumper/spring, cam button, tensioner etc., I've never done anything like that before so I need some education from those of you who know or have the experience. What am I potentially looking at there as far as labor, damage, cost? How would something like this happen in the first place? I'm going to fix it or have it fixed, but is it dangerous to keep running it like it is short term?

if the chain jumps you could really do some damage personally I wouldn't drive it.

I'm not familiar with the camshaft bumper/spring, cam button, tensioner etc., I've never done anything like that before so I need some education from those of you who know and have experience. Where can I find more info on this? I've done some searching on the net but haven't turned up much. What am I looking at in labor, damage, cost? What typically causes this?

Ever figure this out?? Mine sounds almost exactly like your noise and i havent figured it out? but mine seems to come from the middle of the intake.

Ever figure this out?? Mine sounds almost exactly like your noise and i havent figured it out? but mine seems to come from the middle of the intake.

Not yet. Waiting for a good span of time off to open it up and see what's going on.