knock sensor

Don't know if it'll work or not but rock auto has one for the early 80's chevy PU with the 305 and ESC system on clearance. Looks just like the one on the V6 but may put out a different signal. There's no source for the original one right now though.

Theres a chance I still have mine from when I bought the motor. Theres no use for it for me as I dont have the puter and I dont know if it works.

Theres a chance I still have mine from when I bought the motor. Theres no use for it for me as I dont have the puter and I dont know if it works.
How much Im screwed they are on backorder or as I like to say discontinued. Thanks Mike

Thats what they go for. I plan to use the 1983-87 Peizo sensor and ESC module on my '82 GN. The Peizo Knock Sensor run about $35 and is likely better than the 1978-82 accelerometer.

An MSD BTM will not activily protect againts knock. If you ditch the factory system, you can still get a '83-97 knock sensor and ESC module and then use them to trigger a Casper's knock gauge. At least you'll be able to 'see' the knock.

What I was wondering is how does a knock sensor work? Do they create a slight votage or create resistance or what? I considered just getting a 87 knock sensor and getting a small ohm or volage guage and go from there. The ESC would work it seems but it would be nice to eliminate it if possible.

What I was wondering is how does a knock sensor work? Do they create a slight votage or create resistance or what? I considered just getting a 87 knock sensor and getting a small ohm or volage guage and go from there. The ESC would work it seems but it would be nice to eliminate it if possible.
It's pretty simple but a little weird. A crystal is in it and when the crystal gets vibrated it creats and electrical pulse or spark. This is peizo electronics work. Have you ever seen the lighters that throw a spark but don't require a battery? Same tecnology but a little different way of going about it.

Hey Rich, might want to do a search for the 301 garage and add it to the section 301T section on your site. A bunch of dedicated TTA guys with a ton of info. We've been trading info back and forth for a while and the tech they've been working on is crossing over with the earlier cars. The owners name is Joe and there's a few electronics guys that are mapping out the turbo control center info to see if other parts can be adapted for both cars.:)