Knock Sensor Location

bobbyw

bobbyw
Hi Fellas,
I've been riding around in a 87 GN over the past year, and haven't had any time to study up on it due to it's reliablity so far and my consant maintainance of my other 1980's wrecks.

Sunday the GN stranded the old lady:mad: I figured it ran outta gas, however that wasn't the case and I barely managed to coax the car home the few miles.

It's pulling a code 43, however I could not manage to locate the Knock sensor on this car. Where the hell is it? Also, I see the big box car part joints do not stock it. Rockauto has it online, however is there anything I need to know about buying a replacement sensor?

Thanks,
Bob:)

The knock sensor is located at the back of the block under the coil pack but that's most likely not your problem.

Code 43 addresses the ESC which is located on the ps fender next to the map sensor. Check it for a faulty connection. I agree that it is most likely not the knock sensor and ESC modules rarely fail. So check the connections and check the ecm-ign fuse.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 166
thanks for details and pic Chris! I think I have a extra ESC from a 3.8 Bonnieville laying in the spares box. I'll get out in the heat after work with a few brews to check the wires and do a parts swap!