Knock gauge not working?new install

Steves87

I just installed a Caspers Knock gauge. I has power to the unit since the center green light turns on. Also once the ignition is turned on, the first green light lights up, then just the center.
It doesnt seem to be getting the signal. I ran a wire over to the ECM and tied it into the yellow with black stripe going into the smaller connection on the ECM.

Could it just be it is not wrapped tight enough to get signal on the ECM wire?

I would have to assume the power and ground are working since it does light the center green light.

Did I tap into the wrong wire?

Do you have a Scanmaster or something to verify that the ECM is getting a knock signal? You may have a dead knock sensor or ESC module.

When I purchased my gauges my Caspers Knock gauge did almost the same thing. Even tho the green "on" led was on the ohter led's would go all over the place or sometimes stick on a certain one. Most likely you got a bad knock gauge. This happens sometimes. Caspers is great. Sent mine back and they sent me a new one.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
Do you have a Scanmaster or something to verify that the ECM is getting a knock signal? You may have a dead knock sensor or ESC module.

I just installed a Scan Master and am just working on how to understand its readings. How would I know if it is receiving the signal?

Originally posted by phillyturbosix
When I purchased my gauges my Caspers Knock gauge did almost the same thing. Even tho the green "on" led was on the ohter led's would go all over the place or sometimes stick on a certain one. Most likely you got a bad knock gauge. This happens sometimes. Caspers is great. Sent mine back and they sent me a new one.

I double checked the connection to the ECM wire and it is attached. Again the knock will light the center green and I have had it light up the first, sometimes the second green and once a yellow when the car is first started. But once I run the car nothing will register but the center green light.

When you start your car, your scanmaster will flash and light up 2.1, then it will show your 02 volts and knock. The 02 will bounce around, and your knock will stay at 0.0

Try getting on the throttle and watch the knock. At shifts, you might be 1 or 2 degrees of knock. If you do, you know your knock sensor is working.

Originally posted by stevesz06
I double checked the connection to the ECM wire and it is attached. Again the knock will light the center green and I have had it light up the first, sometimes the second green and once a yellow when the car is first started. But once I run the car nothing will register but the center green light.

hmmm you do know only the center green stays on all the time and the other lights won't light unless there is knock? Some cars have knock and false knock on start up so that may also make the lights jump a bit. But if the car is running nothing but the center green led will be on. Unless you mean by "running the car" driving it around and jumping on it where you would creat knock. If were on the same page then the gauge is bad. I've known several people this happend to. They do come bad out of the box sometimes but Casper's stands up for them.

Originally posted by phillyturbosix
hmmm you do know only the center green stays on all the time and the other lights won't light unless there is knock? Some cars have knock and false knock on start up so that may also make the lights jump a bit. But if the car is running nothing but the center green led will be on. Unless you mean by "running the car" driving it around and jumping on it where you would creat knock. If were on the same page then the gauge is bad. I've known several people this happend to. They do come bad out of the box sometimes but Casper's stands up for them.

When I hit the throttle and get on the car, the knock gauge doesnt do anything. Just the center green light stays lite.

Steve

What did the scanmaster say? I'm serious man, if you need help, let me know. I'd be willing to help ya out.

Originally posted by Billdogg
What did the scanmaster say? I'm serious man, if you need help, let me know. I'd be willing to help ya out.

Billdog,

Anytime you want to lend a hand, I would love the help. Have not had a chance to check what the ScanMaster shows. I need to figure out how to read the ScanMaster, but I think I understand the knock portion.

Just got home last night and found out I just had a death in the family so I had other things to tend to last night

Sorry for your loss.

If you'd like, send an email to billdogg86@hotmail.com and let me know when you're available. Maybe I'll bring a couple other Buick guys from around here to help. They helped me out a lot when I had my GN. We should be heading down to Byron in a few weeks, so we'll get that thing ready for it. :D

Caspers said it is possible my car would not have ANY knock since it really is not modified. they told me to test the gauge by putting a 12 volt charge to the feed wire and it should bump the gauge 1 notch each time I tap power to it.

I would have thought all GN's, even stock would register some knock.