king of all stupid questions

Hammer

Does injector size regulate max . boost pressure?Say i have a ta-49 ,can i run more boost with msd-50s versus 009s?Does more fuel deter knock or just cooler air/fuel?Im new to turbos,you can tell by my blown headgasket. p.s. love all the info on this site and hearing other peoples thoughts..

In a word, yes.

With the smaller injectors, folks get by with just running the injectors static. That is on 100% of the time. The stock chip even does that.

Trouble is having the injector transistion from going on and off to just on. There is this little window of time where the injector goes erratic. The trouble is that it maybe off more then on, and temporarily lean. Which is not good. Doing it repeatedly will blow a headgasket.

If you research all the decent injector material they all suggest a max of operating the injector 85-95% of the time. FWIW I have heard some go erratic right at 95%, so I'd say 90% max.

With the 009s your got a bunch of injector to run static, and while you can you still get into the erratic phase.

With 50s you just into the range that at 90% your flowing 45 PPH, and you need to start having a decent fuel curve to run well.

So while you can get by with 009s short term, they aren't the best answer.

But, well tuned 009s are better then poorly tuned 50s.
But, well tuned 50s will give you fewer headaches long term, when done right.

Trouble is having the injector transistion from going on and off to just on. There is this little window of time where the injector goes erratic. The trouble is that it maybe off more then on, and temporarily lean. Which is not good. Doing it repeatedly will blow a headgasket.
Bruce,
are you talking about the instant that the inj. goes to 100% duty cycle?
I'm running at 100% with my bluetops. At initial tip in to WOT, I'll get one frame of low O2's and usually a few degrees of KR, but at the next frame it's gone and the O2's and KR go right to where they should be (~760-790/0-1*KR) within a few frames. At WOT in 3rd, everything is good.
So basically, I'm understanding that the injectors aren't responding quickly enough and going 100% before true WOT?
Sean.

LOL...I understood, you didn't?

Haha...basically more fuel is used to quell detonation by cooling the intake charge and keeping the EGT's in check. I think what Bruce is saying is that to a point, the 009's will work, but you may have to run them at 100% duty cycle. This creates problems, because the injector either static (100%) or it isn't, and there can be a transitional problem as it goes to 100% that may cause brief detonation. Running the bigger injector (50's), which keeps you further away from having to run at 100% because of its higher amount of fuel delivery, generally alleviates the problem.
At least that's what I think bruce was trying to tell us. ;)

He!!, I'm running 36's and knew before they went on that they'd be marginal for where I wanted to be. But I'm going to be stepping up my whole combo this winter, so I decided to keep them since I got a great deal on a turbo/inj. combo.
Later.
Sean.

Thanks snorman thats what i was thinking . LOL you lost me with the lol thing but thanks anyway .

After reading a few posts I dont think LOL has anything to say except LOL!! But what valuable input it is LOL!!:eek:

Must be a mustang owner & a pretend wannabe GN Driver!! Maybe a Ford spy trying to learn from the Buick Camp!! LOL
Is that near the target LOL??? If i'm wrong I apologize but if right ha-ha!! Although, even if you are a wannabe at least ask & give legitimate Q&A's. Not just stupid LOL remarks!!: :eek: :cool:

I would disagree about there not being such thing as a stupid question. I was once asked for a longer 6" scale (ruler). That definately a stupid question:D :D

Stupid question in the machine shop:
how many thousandths are there is an inch?
Stupid answer: there must be a million of them!

Man! This is getting weird now!

I understood the original question, but ever since I thought someone was saying they were "LAUGHING OUT LOUD" it got confusing!

Re: Man! This is getting weird now! Not any more!

Originally posted by Low Budgit
I understood the original question, but ever since I thought someone was saying they were "LAUGHING OUT LOUD" it got confusing!

LOL is no longer a pain in this board, he has been deleted.:)

I see.

I thought it was an abbreviation. I didn't realize it was somebodies name.

If they were a pain...good call and good riddance!:D

Thanks Banning ,I have heard of it but havent looked into it yet. To bad this thread took a wrong turn ,I thought it was a good stupid question. looking forward to some good replies. ps Im a machinest ...997,.998,.999

Originally posted by bruce

If you research all the decent injector material they all suggest a max of operating the injector 85-95% of the time.

Some OEMs & aftermarket tuners now use 80% as their reference point for a "safe" injector DC (Duty Cycle).

Even they must have realized it was too expensive to be operating "in or near the margins".

With the right chip, from today's best chipmakers, fellows are even using 83#s on their street cars, and idling as smooth as stockers. :)